Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Down/uploading while checking

by Biep on 2014/07/18 02:27:40 PM    
Hi,

I have just discovered Tixati, and it looks very promising.  (I haven't yet discovered the search feature on the forum yet, so sorry if this has already been covered.)

I have set it to work on a huge download, and the last few hours it has been checking the hundreds of files in this torrent.  Many files, both complete and incomplete, have been checked by now, but no P2P activity is occurring - it seems Tixati waits for the whole check to be finished before starting transfers.

Is this correct?  And if so, why is this?

Thanks!
by Biep on 2014/07/19 07:13:01 PM    
Oh, and I found an error in the status percentages for folders - those can easily go over 100%, as if they sum rather than average the percentages for subfolders and files.  (But summing would give different figures from the ones I see.)

I took a screen shot, but don't know how to attach it to this post..
by Biep on 2014/07/21 10:58:08 AM    
Yet another thing:
One peer is providing most of the data - about 3/4 of it.  Once in a while, however, it provides bad data (it also often provides out of sequence), and then Tixati decides to ignore this peer, reducing download to a trickle.
How can I tell Tixati to suffer the occasional bad data, but keep taking advantage of this peer?  I'd like to be able to change some setting in the properties of this peer, but I can't find anything relevant.
by Biep on 2014/07/21 11:06:15 AM    
And this:
Most of te time the status bar has: "DHT: port unconfirmed".  Sometimes DHT works, but after a while it reverts to this message.  I typed the following in the "DHT bootstrap nodes" field, but that doesn't solve the problem:
(ADDRESSES REMOVED BY MOD)

(Oh, and it seems others have the same "bad data" problem I mentioned in the previous post: http://forum.tixati.com/support/63/
by Pete on 2014/07/22 05:46:17 PM    
"How can I tell Tixati to suffer the occasional bad data, but keep taking advantage of this peer?"

I agree this is a problem. I think it wouldn't be bad idea to provide and extra option somewhere in settings that would change Unignore into "Unignore permanently" or "Unignore forced".
by Guest on 2014/07/30 01:14:49 PM    
Thanks, Pete - that sounds like a good idea.  But as a matter of principle (of least surprise), I'd also like to be able to get to the properties of a peer through the right-click pop-up menu, and set things there.
For instance, one peer is uploading enormously - I'd like to throttle it somewhat to give others a chance, without choking it off completely or reducing my overall uploading.
One of the strenghts of Tixati is the fine-grained control it provides - so please extend that to individual peers too!

Another thing I ran into:
This torrent running in Tixati (A) being huge, I started µTorrent to check another torrent (B) which had some overlap with A, selecting only the overlapping parts (which I switched off in A).  I told µTorrent not to download but only check. It turned out that some files were not identical (and not the same size), and µTorrent silently 'fixed' that (despite me having told uTorrent only to check.  Shame on µTorrent!)
Soon after, Tixati discovered that some file sizes had changed, and got stuck.  I tried to recheck those files, and their status changed to 'hecking', but soon after reverted to 'Need to check', and I have found no way to get Tixati to run A again.
Only after I had A run on µTorrent (and repair the affected files) Tixati would look consider them again.
I think a torrent client should be more robust than that, and be able to deal with corrupted files when checking.

And being able to run overlapping torrents (without running into problems if the files turn out to be non-identical) would be a really great thing!
by Biep on 2014/08/06 01:10:20 PM    
After a hiccough I restarted Tixati, but it was very slow - just trickling < 5kB/s (and yes, I gave it several hours to get on steam).  So I switched to µTorrent, which did >500kB/s.  I don't know what was the matter.  Tixati has more trackers than µTorrent, as I copied all µTorrent's trackers into it (removing duplicates).

Anyway - I don't want to Force Check every time I switch, because of the long time that takes for this huge torrent.  There should be a way to say "only check the pieces you think you don't have".
And I'd really like a feature where any piece would be checked just before it would be requested - a kind of dynamic, lazy recheck.

Actually, such a lazy check could be the standard way of Force Checking - that would also solve the problem described in the first post of this thread, as the torrent could start to up- and download immediately upon starting it, even if a check is necessary.

And some unrelated wishes:
- I'd like to be able to copy the list of peers, or selected peers, and later on add them as a whole to the torrent when I restart it.  Sometimes trackers don't yield them even if they are active.  (My torrent has no local peer discovery, DHT, or peer exchange.)
- Showing the hash on the Details tab (or under Options > Meta-info), so that it can be selected and copied.
- And really minor: it would be nice if columns could be (de)selected by right-clicking the header row, and tabs reordered by dragging.
by Sailor24 on 2014/08/07 12:24:44 AM    
First I will tell you that you cannot use two clients on a file at the same time. They will deal with them differently until they are complete. This means write them differently. You created problems that don't normally exist.
Secondly most of your wish list including perhaps the bad data can be worked in Tixati. Try asking one question at a time and waiting for a response. Also as you said you are new to Tixati try exploring the program more, just because it is not there on right click does not mean it is not there under a tab or a yet to be viewed column.
by Biep on 2014/08/09 08:17:19 AM    
Ahoy Sailor,

Thanks for replying.  I use this thread to register my experiences and wishes, as I know the developers are working on a new version.  They wrote they do read, but often do not respond, so I gathered waiting for a reaction would not be the right approach.

I know torrent clients don't always work well together, and I can live with block loss, but there is a protocol for pieces, which means that no whole piece would be lost.
I gave the background only as information - the important thing was that Tixati froze on corrupted files.  The source of this corruption is in final instance immaterial.

You are right - I may have missed features that are hidden in some obscure corner of the program.  But that in itself would be of interest to the developers, wouldn't it - this or that feature is not in any of the places at least this user would expect to find it.

Something I ran into:
- Tixati couldn't check a file, because it was in use.  As checking (and uploading) are read actions, they could be performed on a shadow copy (VSS).  That way no conflict would ensue, making the program more robust and easier to use in a multi-tasking context.

Wish list:
- On the Files tab, having a separate column for the folder structure, so that one can sort the files while ignoring that structure.  E.g. I'd like to be able to have all my completed files float to the top of the list, not to over a hundred tops of subfolders.
- Right-clicking a piece on the Pieces tab could bring up a context menu including "Go to file(s)", "Force check", "Write to disk" "Set priority" and the like.
- The (lower) download bar on the Details tab could be responsive: hovering any spot would bring up a tooltip indicating the status, piece and file, and right-clicking would bring up a context menu including "Go to piece" and the elements of the Pieces context menu described above.
by Biep on 2014/08/12 10:41:11 AM    
I tried to switch my huge torrent download back from µTorrent to Tixati.  Tixati is great in that (a) it doesn't recheck all files, but only the ones that have changed since it last wrote into them; (b) It can mostly do the checking while µTorrent is still running; and (c) it is now willing to have the torrent active even if the checking is far from finished!  (So it seems my request from my first post in this thread only concerns torrents that Tixati has never seen before..?)
I discovered about port mapping, and opened the relevant HTTP and UDP ports on my router.
I had copied a large list of trackers into Tixati, and now saw that only the HTTP trackers were actually in there.  Is there a maximum to the list, with silent cut-off (at 128 trackers)?  (As the list was sorted, the UDP trackers came at the end.)  Adding the UDP trackers at the end of the existing ones didn't make them show up, but adding them at the start did.  As the UDP trackers see many more peers than the http ones, this greatly improved the download speed.

Wish list:
- I like the double progress bar!  Please also use it in the traansfers view - code-reuse would even diminish the size of the program, I suppose.
- While checking, I'd like to have a colour shift on the progress bar show how far the check has proceeded.
- Please incorporate a port mapper for the non-tech-savvy!  I used Albertino, which is free, trivial to use, and incredibly tiny.  I didn't even know what port mapping was, until I started finding out why Tixati was slow for me.
- Please don't have a maximum to the number of trackers - or have a setting for it at Transfers > Trackers, and have a cut-off message point there.  And if cutting off is necessary, please don't do it silently!

I love this program!
by Pete on 2014/08/12 08:38:30 PM    
It seems that maximum number of trackers is 128 in Tixati. I doubt anyone will ever need that many trackers for one torrent. One working tracker and DHT enabled is enough. When creating a new torrent it is a good idea to add a backup tracker or maybe two in case the first one goes offline. Too many trackers do more bad than good, adding more trackers to already distributed torrent doesn't help either. Actually I do the opposite, which is using the option to announce only first working tracker group.
by Biep on 2014/08/30 11:24:35 PM    
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply.  For an open torrent you are absolutely right - PEX and DHT will do their work once the first connections are laid.  For a locked torrent this doesn't work, however, and the increase in speed when adding more trackers is clearly visible.

Great to see rapid, solid and active development for Tixati!  Thanks, builders!

Continuing my wish list:
- Showing the hash code on the Options - Meta-info page would be EXCEEDINGLY useful.
- I love the tool tips in the tables!  There are many more places where these would be useful, e.g.:
- - A '<received> bytes of <piece size>' tooltip on the Bytes column of the Pieces table.
- - A file name(s) tooltip in the Index column of the Pieces table.
- - A start/end piece index on the Bytes column in the Files table.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server