Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

tray icon missing in gnome

by tkalfaoglu on 2016/12/23 05:53:11 PM    
Hi there. Using Fedora 25, I no longer have a tixati icon in the corner, therefore if I click "x" it disappears, but continues running (ps ax shows it),
I have to kill it to stop it..

How can I get the tray icon back?
Thanks
by Guest on 2017/01/15 06:03:47 AM    
Could try turning off tray icon then back ON in settings? No experience with GNOME. In windows you can just run the shell "explorer" again to repopulate any stuck system tray stuff.
by loninappleton on 2017/01/17 08:07:44 AM    
Can you explain run Explorer to repopulate the stuck items.

I have not run into this term.
by hcbd on 2017/01/17 01:03:28 PM    
I'm running fedora 25 with gnome.

GNOME doesn't have a Tray icon area.

Instead it has the notification area. Which can be a bar on the bottom of the screen or one that slides in and out (bottomleft), depending on your settings.

download this gnome extention: TopIcons or TopIcons plus
which you can find here (use the firefox with the gnome-extention enabled)
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/
this extention will put all icons that are in the tray/notification area onto the Topbar (left next to the power/sound/netwerk icons).

Also, I encountered a bug, that makes icons black or dissapear anywhere in Gnome (including inside the program Tixati, inkscape, banshee, etc).
this is due to a bug in the mesadriver (not sure). sollution for this is to rollback the mesapackages to a 12.0.x.x version

good luck.
by CSTGT on 2017/01/17 01:28:26 PM    
open app and settings > behavior (under user interface) thats there what u r searching. e.g. Show icon system tray.
by Guest on 2017/01/21 01:37:43 AM    
It would be cool if the settings worked for Linux build also. >< Do those settings affect Linux? I suggested the (windows only) fix for restarting shell. Sorry I should have known better.
by caminostro on 2017/01/26 10:00:21 AM    
I have the same problem in Ubuntu 16.04.1. No tray icon, even if the appropriate setting is enabled.
by Biep on 2024/03/11 07:39:44 PM    
I have the issue when running default Ubuntu 22.04.  When running "Ubuntu on Xorg" all works well.
Under default Ubuntu:
- There is no tray icon.
- When I click on the top bar for the tray icon menu and choose exit, it disappears but does not exit.
- When disappeared, it also doesn't show the red dot when hitting the meta key and starting to type "tixati".  Typically, that dot shows that there is a running instance.
- When launching it from there, it pops back into view, in the midst of working.
- When I select "when closing, really exit" and then choose "exit" on the top bar menu, it really exits eventually.

For other reasons I do not want to work on Xorg, so it would be great if this could be fixed.
by Biep on 2024/03/12 09:09:18 PM    
Seems to be this issue: https://forum.tixati.com/support/6446  .

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server