Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Categories and Upload Ratios

by Guest on 2016/05/09 10:59:17 AM    
Hello -

I am a uTorrent refugee, currently evaluating Tixati. I really like what I've found so far.

How might I set up Tixati, and specifically categories, to do the following:

* Torrents that are uncategorised have an upload ratio of 1.1 (OK, this one is easy... Settings / Transfers / General / Stop seeding on upload ratio above)
* Torrents with the category "Long Term Seeds" have an unlimited upload ratio

I suppose I could just set the Upload Ratio Limit for the "Long Term Seeds" category to some obscenely large number, but was wondering whether there was a more elegant solution.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/05/09 07:03:57 PM    
Create or select a Category
right click and open Properties
click the Seeding Tab
for your "long term seeds" make sure the upload ratio is not enabled
each category then can have custom settings for this, different than global defaults for "uncategorized"
enjoy
by Guest on 2016/05/09 09:08:48 PM    
Thanks, BugMagnet. That is what I tried originally but my testing suggested that deselecting the upload ratio in the "Long Term Seeds" category meant that the default upload limit applied. The initial clue that this was the case was that torrents in this scenario were listed as having a "Time Left". Why would a torrent with no upload limit be reporting a time to completion?

When a category setting is not selected, does the default then apply?
by Bugmagnet on 2016/05/10 06:50:18 AM    
I believe that the "Time Left" only indicates the estimated time to finish a torrent you are downloading. It is not related to any seeding time.

I do not normally use any ratio to stop torrents, so others might be able to give more advice on that. I do think that if the category seeding limits are not set, then Tixati will fall back to the global defaults.

And it appears that the highest upload ratio for the stop function is 100. Maybe the DEVteam can define 0 to be "nonstop" to override the global limits?
by Guest on 2016/05/11 08:23:40 AM    
Thanks, Bugmagnet.

I believe that the "Time Left" only indicates the estimated time to finish a torrent you are downloading. It is not related to any seeding time.

My testing is indicating that "Time Left" is equally applicable to seeding. It looks like it uses various metrics to calculate a remaining time until seeding will stop. This is most clearly shown in the "Details" tab of the selected torrent.

Here is a seeding torrent where the upload ratio limit is set by the category "Long Term Seeds" to 2.00. Tixati does some clever calculation and determines that seeding will be complete in 15 days:

Here is the same seeding torrent where the category has been changed to "Test", which has the upload ratio limit unticked. In this case, the torrent's upload ratio limit reverts to the default setting of 1.1. Tixati calculates that the time left with this ratio limit is 9 days:

I do not normally use any ratio to stop torrents, so others might be able to give more advice on that. I do think that if the category seeding limits are not set, then Tixati will fall back to the global defaults.

Yes, this appears to be the case (as shown above), and I think it is a sensible thing to do.

And it appears that the highest upload ratio for the stop function is 100. Maybe the DEVteam can define 0 to be "nonstop" to override the global limits?

I do think there is a case for there to be additional valid options for the Upload Ratio Limit parameter. I would find a value for nonstop/infinity very useful. (It's why I started this thread.) But I'm thinking that a value of 0 might be ambiguous.

Would this work?

Upload Ratio Limit
Stop on upload ratio at or above:
 (Radio 1) Default  // the same as having the existing setting unticked
 (Radio 2) No limit // forcibly setting it to have no limit regardless of the default setting
 (Radio 3) {numerical value as it currently exists}
by Guest on 2016/05/16 03:41:45 AM    
(OP here...)

I suppose I could work around the issue by:

- Changing the default to impose no upload ratio
- Creating a category "Default" with an upload ratio limit of 1.10 and applying that to all torrents that I want to have this "Default" behavior.

...but I then have to actively apply a setting that is essentially what I want to be the default behavior, which seems a little backward.

Do the developers see my logic? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Many thanks.
by Guest on 2017/08/08 09:05:10 PM    
Hello,
I have a similar problem I think. The seeding limits set in the property of a category are not carried through to the actual torrents in that category. Tixati never did this for me, as long as i am using it. (2,5 years). Note that I am using Version 2.53.
So when I set a seeding limit in the property tab, the torrents in the category still have the default value. I am asking, because I would also create an "always seed" category. My guess is this is a known bug or just for my Windows version of the client. Still it seems fine for the rest of the users.

Thanks in advance.

Ruff
by Pete on 2017/08/09 10:18:10 PM    
The seeding limits set in the property of a category are not carried through to the actual torrents in that category.
They aren't, it works differently. Category upload limit takes precedence over default upload limit. Individual torrent's upload limit takes precedence over category upload limit (individual torrent > category > default). I've got "always seed" category, torrents in that category continue to seed indefinitely, although the default upload limit has been exceeded.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server