Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Upload Limit Not Working, Freezes Bandwidth

by washere on 2016/04/06 03:03:20 PM    
Re: Upload Limit Not Working, Freezes other apps/devices using internet in some torrent cases

Upload Limit Not Working, even when set to 1k or 2k or 3k or 10k. It uses much more as shown.

This reezes other apps/devices using internet. It happens in some torrent cases, when demand is high.

For my broadband connection, in UK, this basically cripples my connection for even basic browsing or other devices at home.

The Upload limit setting for uTorrent Pro works for the same torrents freezing my bandwidth using Tixati.

I am a programmer and have long experience of torrents and use it on Win8 Pro mainly and it is the latest update of Tixati as usual.

Please fix it so the upload limiter actually works. As I prefer Tixati much more to uTorrent Pro.

Thanks for the great work.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/07 02:33:48 AM    
If you have broadband, why would you want to strangle your UL speed to less than what a slow dialup connection could handle?

I am using win 7 64 bit so maybe it is different than win 8... but likely?

Both UL and DL caps work very well, especially so on the new v2.35a1 which has been out for a week now.

Due to the major re-write of significant portions of the code, UL BW limiting is working better than ever, for any NORMAL level. It will not limit BW to absurdly low levels.

http://i.imgur.com/KImdFdX.png
by washere on 2016/04/07 05:23:56 PM    
1) Glad to see UL limit works for some. It works for some uploads, apparently, but not for many for me.

2) As to the Q why I want to, as I said clearly, it is freezing my other apps, browsers, devices. So it is an odd question!
Did have same problem with my last ISP a few months ago. Been programming for decades, did try various settings & various upload limits. All are ignored.

3) Another reason that is an odd Q is that a major function category should work. It is not for me, regardless of the fact that it freezes  my connection for other devices.
If a major part of a system does not work, it is not very apt to say, why use it? Although I did also why: Try to unfreeze other online devices.

Have latest version as said before too, usually do. If it is happening for me, chances are it is happening for others too.

Will be good to hear from others too.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/08 02:43:14 AM    
my load is certainly not typical and I don't know the range of your "broadband" since that seems to be anything above dialup speed.

I park in several of the sharing channels and the incoming BW from those tends to be about 60 KiB/s and the outgoing about 150 KiB/s, with seeding filling in to my set limit of 8 Mib/s.

I set both UL and DL to 1 KiB/s to test and it was ignored, ineffective at that low level. My UL and DL did drop to 10-15 KiB/s but not 1. I don't know what would happen if I turned off all my transfers and stopped all the channels. I assume it would drop a little further, but am not sure just how much.

Well, lets test that. I pulled the plug on everything. Without lowering my BW limits both incoming and outgoing dropped to 0.00 KiB/s Though I have 600 DHT nodes online so imagine there is some BW going on in the background for that.

Without any channels running, and no downloads, seeding 7 torrents, with 600+ DHT Nodes I am seeing 1.5 KiB/s DL and 1 MiB/s UL for Tixati. When I set my BW limits to 1 KiB/s, I am seeing 0.04 KiB/s DL and 0.96-1.02 KiB/s UL. Smack on.

I then resumed my normal load 1700+ Seeds (1200 on standby rotation) and ~100 dormant Downloads (1 active):  DL = 0.50 KiB/s and UL = 2.43-2.67 KiB/s ( slightly above the set limit of 1 KiB/s )

But thinking... It is usually the DL BW load that affects other aps like browsing right? You didn't mention lowering the DL limit for Tixati, only the UL. While UL does have some effect on DL capacity, actual DL BW is more a factor I would think.

Another factor is any router or modem being used. Some routers I have used in the past could not handle torrent traffic at all for an extended period. Even with a relatively low BW of my prior service levels, I would have to reset the router every few hours.

Have you done speedtests before and after running tixati to see what actual levels you can obtain from your ISP connection?
by washere on 2016/04/08 06:11:30 PM    
I did some tests when I got my new ISP a few months ago. It is average UK broadband as I recall. Same as before. I have used 3 routers over the last year.

1) Basically the result is the same. I tested limiting UL on Tixati to many different parameters. Not working. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Tested on a few laptops too.

The UL switch does not work. I suspect it is the same for a percentage of others too and it is a known issue. It works perfect when using uTorrent Pro which I do not like.

The uTorrent test shows it is a Tixati issue. That non functionality of Tixati UL settings switch for "some of us" is one issue. I do not know how many have this problem too.

2) The other issue is that on many torrents, once the UL gets near 50k, my bandwidth becomes unusable at home and all devices/apps/browsers stutter or freze. It throttles the same torrent DL too.

So briefly:
1) Tixati UL settings switch does not work for me on several installs/laptops
2) Applies to a couple of mainstream average UK (Central London) Broadband ISP services I tried and presumably more

The point of my initial post is mainly (1) that UL settings choices in Tixati did not work for me (& % of others?). That basic functionality (working on horrid uTorrent Pro) is the main issue and irrelevant to speeds, ISPs, etc etc etc.

To have Tixati UL speed choices, THAT IS THE QUESTION I ASKED as basically we can talk about a million other things but they are not why I posted this thread.

Can the dev please please please make sure UL choices in Tixati work for all of us.

Thanks.
by Pete on 2016/04/08 10:06:23 PM    
Sorry for being obvious.
Do you use global bandwidth limits?
Are you sure your limits are OK? What units are used kb or kB?
by washere on 2016/04/08 10:30:43 PM    
Hi Pete,

I mean KB. I also tried toggling Global parameters too. Basically they do not affect it, be it for UL or DL.

I have to repeat that it happens only for a minority of torrents. It must be something in those few torrent files that escape Tixati UL limit setting. Then all hell breaks loose. The problematic minority of such torrents are successfully limited in UL. Usually I do not change UL settings anyway, only when it cripples my network.
I repeat it is a minority of torrents but when it happens I have to resort to the dreaded uTorrent. I guess it is a known issue. I tried redownloading those problematic few torrents and also other versions, & changing other nodes: other laptops, reinstall, different ISP, etc.

Thanks for your comment.
by Bugmagnet on 2016/04/09 03:22:48 AM    
if you expect the dev team to fix something, they need details.
I am no programmer but suspect that to be actionable, they need more information on this issue.

My questions have the purpose to elicit facts that might give clues to the problem and confirm whether or not it is in fact related to the design of tixati and not other external factors.

1] I doubt there is any such thing as "average broadband". My ISP offers a range from 3 mb/s to 300 mb/s DL speed and 128 kb/s to 20 mb/s UL speed. More important than that is what they actually are delivering and what your system can sustain. Again, let's be specific. Close all programs and devices using the internet connection except perhaps a browser needed to do a speedtest and get the actual number for both UL and DL speeds.

2] You make several references to UL speeds of 1k or 2k or 3k or 10k and 50k. Those are ambiguous and not so useful. i.e. is it 1kb/s or is it 1 kB/s? Is it 50kb/s or 50kB/s?  and again for this to be meaningful we would need to know a current speedtest of what is actually available from your ISP on your connection, through your routers etc. And with the right measure. Speedtests are often reported in Kbits/s or Mbits/s whereas tixati uses kBYTES/s and mBYTES/s for BW limiting and graphing.

3] You mention a browser is interfered with. What are you doing with the browser? Simply surfing the web, which is more of a DL BW issue or are you doing something that needs lots of UL BW?

4] You mention other devices. What are they? What are their needs for both DL and UL BW?

5] Again, you mention only working with the UL BW limit. Normal browsing would be more affected by DL BW issues, starvation. Are you setting any DL limit in tixati? You never mentioned that. That is most often the culprit in interfering with other applications.

6] supply some screenshots, with any relevant comments related to events and changes that caused any affect on the BW. an example is here:  imgur.com/lngySx8

7] If you don't have them, I'd suggest installing Taskinfo and abpmon from iarsn.com. They both have some highly useful graphing functions that document the interaction of CPUsage, RAM, SWAP, file I/O, TCP I/O etc. These will augment the tixati BW graphs with for example BW changes/uses of aps/devices other than tixati.  example screenshot is here:  imgur.com/gmPjq0p
by Guest on 2016/04/09 02:30:18 PM    
Also @ Pete

I forgot to say the rough minority of torrents that this happens to is a few percentage.
I would say about 95% of torrents do give me control at UL speeds which I hardly change.
Another interesting trait I noticed is that it only happens to big downloads of multi files.
I do feel it is something in the structure of those few % troublesome torrents files that evade Tixati controls. Hope that helps dev.

Thanks again for your comment.

And thanks again to the dev(s). I finished the latest troublesome torrent and luckily am back to Tixati.
by Guest on 2016/04/09 10:48:39 PM    
send those torrents to the devs. support at tixati dot com

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server