Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Request: Don't select file extension when renaming a file

by Guest on 2015/12/18 08:19:14 PM    
Hi,

Currently when you rename a file (lets say example.txt) then it by default selects/highlights/marks the whole thing although I'd argue it's rare to change the file extension of a file hence in my personal opinion it'd be more logical to only select the file name and not file extension, so it'd select "example" but not ".txt"

Why? Well like I said above, in my personal experience it's more likely you'll edit the file name and not the file extension, if it would only select the file name by default then the user can start typing a new file name immediately whereas currently the user needs to re-select what to edit as to not also delete the file extension.

I admit I don't really know how to word this request but I hope you get it.
by ZarkBit on 2015/12/19 05:21:36 AM    
+1 just like said, once the Rename options is selected only the filename gets automatically highlighted leaving the extension alone.
by JWvL_software on 2015/12/19 05:53:23 AM    
I agree: http://forum.tixati.com/support/1633/

I think the easiest way might be to shorten the textbox and then display the ".ext": right beside it. Maybe allow 4 or 5 characters in length.

Please revisit this.

Thank You,

JWvL
by Guest on 2015/12/19 10:49:06 AM    
Hi again,

Sorry I didn't notice that there were already a wish for this. Also to clarify further I think it should work like in Window File Explorer, when you rename a file via file explorer it only selects the file name by default and not the file extension. It is in my personal opinion the logical way to handle it from a default perspective.
by Guest on 2015/12/19 05:38:41 PM    
Yes please! I too would really like to be able to edit/rename file names quickly without affecting their extensions.
by Guest on 2015/12/21 05:58:55 AM    
Woohoo! As of v2.31, when editing file names, only the name is now highlighted and not the extension. This is a small but VERY convenient change. Thanks Devs!
by JWvL_software on 2015/12/21 12:30:54 PM    
It's much better now!!!

Thank you very much devs!

JWvL
by Guest on 2015/12/21 01:09:09 PM    
Indeed implemented and it's great! Thank you Devs =)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server