Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Why the proxy settings changes? (fixed)
Page 1 of 2     <<   <   12>>>
by Guest on 2015/10/14 07:38:01 AM    
What happened to these settings?

Tracker Tcp proxy Peer Tcp Proxy
by Guest on 2015/10/15 12:33:23 AM    
Since 2.18 they are gone.

connect to 127.0.0.1  port 0 shows up
by Guest on 2015/10/15 09:54:27 AM    
they were merged into a single proxy setting that is for trackers, peers, http, everything...

why would these need to be separate in the first place?
by Guest on 2015/10/15 02:06:14 PM    
It's because not everybody wants to forward his/her peer traffic through proxy (TOR).
I use TIXATI because of its rich features.
by Napsterbater on 2015/10/15 08:41:22 PM    
I'm not saying your are wrong or stupid for wanting that, but help me (us) understand a use case of why you would not want everything to go through the proxy? Why would you only want Tracker/DHT/etc and not peer traffic, what is the benefit.
by Guest on 2015/10/16 11:26:37 AM    
It's useful when you do not wish to overload/saturate proxy/TOR for peer traffic.
It's not harmful for you, but it is harmful for proxy in rare cases that you can pass your peer traffic without proxy.
I'm just saying having multiple options doesn't hurt anybody, except confusing first time users.

Separating proxies may cause deadly mistake for those who do not read the important notice in proxy section of software.
by Guest on 2015/10/16 12:54:49 PM    
I'm just saying having multiple options doesn't hurt anybody, except confusing first time users.

it hurts the developers because they have to maintain all these features and worry about re-testing these things every release

and it makes no sense to have separate proxy settings for peers/trackers, if anything it might give people a false sense of security to think they are safe by hiding tracker traffic but not peer traffic

rest assured, it is absolutely trivial to spy on the peer traffic, hiding tracker reqs doesn't protect you from any serious adversary, and I would hate that anybody else would trust their safety to such an assumption... there was (is?) a search engine out there where you could type in someone's IP and see all the torrents they are in (bittorrent is a terrible system/protocol for hiding yourself)

really, I think the proxy stuff should be removed entirely now that I think of it.... i guess it's ok for TOR, but really a VPN is the only way to fly
by Guest on 2015/10/16 03:04:47 PM    
OK. Fair enough on developer part.
No, I did not think it would give me any privacy using proxy for tracker traffic.
I do not think such search engine could exist. Because of torrent hash and even if it existed, it would make it way too easy for ISPs.
by Guest on 2015/10/16 04:38:45 PM    
That search engine was called "youhavedownloaded" and you can just google that (all one word, in quotes).

It was in 2011 that they were crawling the DHT, but they have since stopped.  I am not sure if there have been similar services since, but it certainly would be feasible with modest resources.

This is the nature of bittorrent, it was never designed to conceal your footprints.  In fact, it was designed around 15 years ago, before anyone knew what they were doing.  If you go read the specification, it is a hap-hazard mess of conflicting ideas and unlucky design choices.
by Guest on 2015/10/17 07:51:48 AM    
Thanks for the info.
by deniskx on 2016/02/19 11:41:36 AM    
and it makes no sense to have separate proxy settings for peers/trackers
Why did you implemented the first time then? Why break something that already works?

help me (us) understand a use case of why you would not want everything to go through the proxy? Why would you only want Tracker/DHT/etc and not peer traffic, what is the benefit.
The mobile ISP/public VPN limiting access to trackers. However, p2p connections are working properly. I bypass only tracker through TOR proxy. I don't need to pass all traffic through a proxy.
I don't care privacy.
by Guest on 2016/08/15 09:49:18 PM    
1 more REASON why these settings MUST NOT merge in one.
Some big torrent trackers DO NOT ALLOW IP from others countries. So I open the torrent tracker through proxy, download .torrent file and put proxy IP in tixati's Tracker TCP proxy settings. Hereby the tracker resolve OK and I am able to download from the other peers, but the traffic do not pass through proxy.

Now you ramped down the settings and after tracker resolvs me, all traffic tries to pass through the proxy which is IMPOSSIBLE because the proxy is not meant for heavy traffic and nothing download
by denyufdh on 2017/04/07 09:42:39 AM    
Russian government illegally ordered Russian providers to block tracker-announcers to our popular torrent resource. P2P meanwhile works. Please return a separate proxy setting for peers/trackers.
by Cazotte on 2017/07/04 07:11:12 AM    
+1 to return separate tracker/peer proxy settings, because a few crucial announcers are blocked by ISP, but P2P is permitted.
by Guest on 2017/07/19 07:16:03 AM    
+1 to return separate tracker/peer proxy settings, because a few crucial announcers are blocked by ISP, but P2P is permitted.
+1. i fully support
by Guest on 2017/07/29 06:53:01 PM    
+1 Yes, separate proxy for peer and tracker , especially for trackers are the most important.
by Guest on 2017/08/12 02:57:10 PM    
Tixati 2.16 probably last version with separate proxy settings.

Keep in mind: trackers will know proxy IP, not yours. Incoming connections will not work, because peers will try connect to proxy, not to you. If EVERYONE does this, no one can connect. This is only allowed if you are already behind NAT (incoming connections not available). There is DHT though.

Exception: HTTP proxy with X-Forwarded-For header (tracker should also support this header). In other cases, if you have a direct IP - VPN with port forwarding is the best solution.
by Guest on 2020/01/03 09:07:02 AM    
+1, please bring back this feature. I'm not above paying for this outright for everyone. I would be willing to cough up some clams to see this feature in future updates.
by Guest on 2020/01/15 03:48:46 PM    
Why would you only want Tracker/DHT/etc and not peer traffic, what is the benefit?
1.) Tracker traffic is negligible compared to my peer traffic.
2.) Most of the times proxying tracker traffic is enough to bypass censorship.
3.) Tor only supports TCP connections.
4.) uTorrent, qBittorrent, Deluge have and Tixati had this feature.

Keep in mind: trackers will know proxy IP, not yours. Incoming connections will not work, because peers will try connect to proxy, not to you.
Bittorrent trackers can use the IP address reported by the client instead of the IP address the peer connects from. The IP is an optional parameter in the announce request. For example qBittorrent has this in the advanced settings: "IP address to report to trackers".

rest assured, it is absolutely trivial to spy on the peer traffic
Set "encrypted only peer connections", all clients support it. It uses RC4 today, but most likely ChaCha20 will be added as a BEP in this year.
Page 1 of 2     <<   <   12>>>
<<  Back To Forum

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server