Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Why does Tixati slow down my browsing?

by Dimitri001 on 2014/11/16 01:51:10 PM    
This, by the way, has happened to me on every client, not just Tixati.

I have Tixati on and I'm seeding something, not downloading anything and my browsing is extremely slow. My upload capacity is 70 Kbps, so I limit it to 40, and it doesn't change a thing. When I stop all transfers, then it goes back to normal, but not immediately, rather there's like a certain period of hang time, sometimes a minute, sometimes three or five, and THEN its back to normal.

This EXACT patter also happened to me on utorrent. This is precisely why I switched to Tixati, because I just got so fed up and pissed off one day that I just uninstalled it out of anger, before even thinking about what alternative I'll go to.

So can someone explain this to me, I just find it incomprehensible behavior. Why is it not enough to limit the up bandwidth to 40, why is there sometimes 5 minutes of hangtime after I pause all transfers before I can browse at all???
by Guest on 2014/11/17 11:35:52 AM    
With my personal connection it isnt like 600kb/s down and 60kb/s up. It is a max of one or the other.  

As to why there is lag between you shutting it off and it stopping is like telling a crowd of people to pay attention by ignoring them.  It takes time for them to know you stopped receiving acks.
by Guest on 2014/11/17 02:04:08 PM    
since you have extreme slow connection, i would suggest to limit the number of peers at the settings - network - connections page. And you should disable DHT and Channels too, since these features generate some minor traffic, but in your case it can be relevant.
by Pete on 2014/11/17 06:25:23 PM    
Both Tixati and uTorrent use KB/s for bandwidth limits. KB/s and Kbps are not the same units. An upload limit of 40 KB/s = 320 Kbps, it's more than your link can transport. This will most likely slow down your browsing. 70 Kbps = 8.75 KB/s, your upload limit should be about 70-80% of that, try lower limits, 5-7 KB/s for example. I think with this speed you shouldn't seed more than one torrent at the same time. Also lower settings of "maximum peer connections per transfer" may help (Settings > Connections), 25 is a minimum value.

For more information see the "Optimize" page.
by Guest on 2014/11/17 06:27:20 PM    
My first question would be: are you SURE you are getting 70Kb/s? Is this what you are paying for (advertised speed) or what you are actually receiving (tested with something like speedtest dot net)? My second would be: are you SURE that you are actually limiting the *outgoing* bandwidth down to 40Kb/s? If you check around here, there are some users who complain that global limiting doesn't work for them for some reason (although it certainly does for me). If you check the live bandwidth graph and play with the outgoing limit setting, you should see easily where the soft (Tixati, user-set) and hard (ISP) limits are when the graph is completely flat and there are no upward spikes.

Also be aware that ISPs may impose different limits at different times of day to maximise the overall bandwidth for local customers. For a while I suffered from a much lower upload limit during the evenings which only returned to peak close to midnight. It's possible you are trying to browse when your ISP bandwidth has dipped below the set limit.

If you are maxing your actual outgoing bandwidth somehow with torrent traffic, then you will definitely be unable to send out requests to websites which will result in poor browsing. It sounds like this is happening still, so you need to find out why the gap between your expected ISP limit and your set upload limit is not what you think it is. As for the delay between pausing and clearing the bandwidth, I imagine that the current parts being uploaded by you will continue until finished, it is just new requests that will be squelched, so it will take a little time for the overall traffic to wind down completely. Five minutes sounds a lot though.
by Guest on 2014/11/29 11:57:44 AM    
Thanks for the help, everyone!

since you have extreme slow connection, i would suggest to limit the number of peers at the settings - network - connections page. And you should disable DHT and Channels too, since these features generate some minor traffic, but in your case it can be relevant.

Any suggestion on what I should set the number of peers to? Also, are you talking about the "peer connect" number or the "maximum peer connections per transfer" number?

I've disabled the channels feature, so I'll see if there's an difference. What is this feature, though?

What do I have to do to disable DHT? Do I just put "Startup DHT mode" to off or do I also have to change "DHT mode for normal transfers" and "DHT mode for trackerless transfers" to search only?

Also, what IS DHT, what am I doing by shutting this off?

Both Tixati and uTorrent use KB/s for bandwidth limits. KB/s and Kbps are not the same units. An upload limit of 40 KB/s = 320 Kbps, it's more than your link can transport. This will most likely slow down your browsing. 70 Kbps = 8.75 KB/s, your upload limit should be about 70-80% of that, try lower limits, 5-7 KB/s for example.

Sorry, my mistake, when I said what my capacity was I was going by the speed I was getting at that moment when I wrote that (because I was seeding a torrent at the time) and the speed (in Tixati) was 70. So I made a mistake, the speed was 70 KB/s (I didn't realize KB=/=Kb).

So at the time I set the speed from 70 KB/s to 40/KB/s and it didn't make a difference.

I think with this speed you shouldn't seed more than one torrent at the same time.

With this new information about the upload speed, do you still think I shouldn't seed more than one?

I tested my connection speed with one of those online tests again, just to check, and it came out:

down: 4.90 Mbps
up: 0.46 MBps

Also lower settings of "maximum peer connections per transfer" may help (Settings > Connections), 25 is a minimum value.

I'll do this and see what happens.

One question, tho, on this. Could this impact my seeding? Like, suppose there's 50 people in the swarm, of which 49 seeders and 1 leecher. Might I be unable to connect to the leecher because my connection limit is 25 and I'm connected to all seeders and no more slots for the one leecher?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought I'd check.

Also be aware that ISPs may impose different limits at different times of day to maximise the overall bandwidth for local customers. For a while I suffered from a much lower upload limit during the evenings which only returned to peak close to midnight. It's possible you are trying to browse when your ISP bandwidth has dipped below the set limit.

The problem I'm having happens all the time, so this can't be hte issue.
by Pete on 2014/11/30 02:10:58 PM    
For down: 4.90 Mbps, up: 0.46 MBps the default settings should be OK for you. No need to set very low peers limit, but I think it wouldn't hurt either. Bittorrent programs don't keep connections to other seeders. Tixati does the same, so it should quickly find leechers if there are any. Do not disable DHT, it is useful (an alternative to tracker, it helps to find peers), your bandwidth is not that low as we thought, it is enough to keep a few torrents running.
by Dimitri001 on 2014/12/01 11:19:51 PM    
So what do you think might be causing this problem?

Do you think I should disable the channel feature as has been suggested?

And just to be sure, that was a typo on my part on the unit for the upload bandwidth, its Mbps, of course, not MBps. I know that was probably understood, but wanted to make sure :)

If this is relevant: I currently have 10 torrents seeding, of course there isn't actual traffic in these torrents most of the time, I just have them open in case a leecher shows up and I have two torrents that are downloading but in actuality, again, no traffic, these are torrents that I've kept open for a long time because there are no seeders and I'm hoping eventually someone might show up.
by Pete on 2014/12/07 11:43:33 AM    
I think the Channels feature doesn't matter as long as you aren't connected to any channels. I would first try to start only one torrent and see if it works OK. Then start more, one by one, at some point the problem will show up. I don't know what is the cause. Maybe some of your torrents have thousands of peers and there are too many incoming connections for your router.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server