Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

So whats "timed out (2:10060)" ?

by Guest on 2014/09/11 08:59:19 PM    
Now wait, Tixati works just fine for me, but I have seen a bunch of timed out connections. Usually, I can see these in my firewall logs as getting blocked cuz they don't match my precise rules regarding tixati connections. Just curious as to what (2:10060) actually means/is...

Not an issue, just curious. BTW - A salute to the devs - *Better* then the rest! Yup!
by Pete on 2014/09/12 12:21:09 PM    
I think it is a Windows socket error code, see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740668%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
by Guest on 2014/09/18 02:07:33 AM    
Thanks for the link Pete. Saved that page for future *non* Tixati moments.

After some closer inspection of a recent torrent download on my part, I noticed that many (If not all) of these "time-outs" seem to match what my firewall logs point out as inbound ICMP. I'm no Inet expert, but I almost never see ICMP incidents in my firewall logs. Do people still use that these days? And why is it most noticeable when using Tixati (Other Clients using ICMP?).

Maybe I should open up the Tixati firewall rules to allow ICMP just to see. An experiment if you will... But then, maybe not.

Thanks for the reply,
by Napsterbater on 2014/09/19 01:46:44 AM    
Why are you blocking ICMP? No need and really provides no protection.

Im betting those are ICMP Port/Destination Unreachable messages being returned from a router.

TCMP is Internet Control Message Protocol

It provides useful info to systems on the internet.

If you stop blocking it Tixati would know right away to stop trying to connect to that client and move on, with it block tixati has to wait for the connection to time out.

There are many other messages that are part of ICMP including Path MTU Discovery ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_Discovery  ) that break if you simply block all ICMP.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server