Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Portable Windows 64-Bit Version

by Somename3 on 2014/08/20 06:29:42 PM    
Why there is no 64-bit windows version of Tixati in portable archive?
I noticed there is 64-bit version for linux, but not windows.
Is there something special about 64-bit windows version of Tixati which makes it not present in the portable archive?

Thanks
by Rudiger on 2014/08/21 10:13:22 AM    
It's somewhat unnecessary to include the win64 one because the 32-bit Windows version will run anywhere the 64-bit one will, so only the 32-bit one is included to save space.

For Linux it doesn't work the same, some 64-bit systems will not be able to run the 32-bit Linux version, so both had to be included.
by Somename3 on 2014/08/21 01:56:47 PM    
Ok.
But why is there 64-Bit installer (and 64-Bit version at all) for windows then if 32-Bit will run anyway?
Don't get me wrong, I like to have native 64-Bit version for 64-Bit windows, but to get it currently I must install 64-Bit version using installer first to get executable, which is pretty inconvenient.
If saving space is priority then it would be nice to have separate archives for each version: linux 32-bit, linux 64-bit, windows 32-bit and windows 64-bit; person will use only one from portable archive anyway, so it will save space even more.
by Rudiger on 2014/08/21 04:16:42 PM    
Somename3 wrote:
person will use only one from portable archive anyway

Have a read of tixati.com/download/portable.html

Lots of people use both binaries in the portable.  That's the whole point.

The portable edition by it's very nature has to be an all-in-one package, with Win+Linux binaries, so that you can create an installation on a USB key that can be moved between computers, regardless of platform.  You can move from Windows to Linux and back and the configuration / settings / transfers / everything stays the same.

Eventually the devs might include the 64-bit Windows binary, but right now it's pretty redundant and not really worth it since the performance 32 vs 64 isn't noticeably different.
by Somename3 on 2014/08/22 11:38:40 AM    
Lots of people use both binaries in the portable. That's the whole point.

The portable edition by it's very nature has to be an all-in-one package, with Win+Linux binaries, so that you can create an installation on a USB key that can be moved between computers, regardless of platform. You can move from Windows to Linux and back and the configuration / settings / transfers / everything stays the same.
Ok, I got the point now. I'm just using portable version for the reason it keeps all settings in same directory (because I hate when programs keep their settings somewhere on system disk and they are lost after system reinstall).

Thanks for answers.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server