Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Request: .zip file containing binaries or non-admin installer.

by alancarre on 2014/08/15 10:02:44 AM    
Hello,

I have 6 users on my machine and I only want to install this program for my user. Also, I don't want to place the binaries in the global "Program Files" folder. So I presume I do not require, *nor do I want*, to hand over all access to this machine for the purpose of copying a few files.

Could such a .zip file or non-admin installer be created? Unfortunately Windows will not let me run the installer with standard rights. This is true of most installers, and the reason I almost never install a program. ie. Because the request for "God Mode" consent is asked prior to knowing what the installer intends to do (ie. I might choose a personal folder for the installation).

Thanks in advance,
- Alan
by Guest on 2014/08/15 02:38:43 PM    
try the portable version.
by alancarre on 2014/08/15 03:26:58 PM    
I don't understand. Isn't that for a completely different operating system? Like a PDA or something?

I guess I'll have to have a look and see what is meant by "portable".

FYI. I'm running Windows 7 (32 bit) and the portable version was not given as an optional download on the downloads page. And I did, eventually just bite the bullet and install and now I have to go around every user's start menu and get rid of the useless icon (it is installed in a private directory).

- A

P.S. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I only came here to see if my request was listed. I was not notified that someone had also responded!
by Rudiger on 2014/08/18 05:15:17 PM    
look at the top of this page,

where it says "Download", click your mouse there

on the download page, scroll down just a little bit, you will see the portable edition, which is EXACTLY what you're looking for

It is portable in the sense that it runs "in place" and self-contained in a single folder, so you can put it on a USB key and bring it to another computer and it will run without installing.

have fun.
by Guest on 2014/08/20 12:35:35 PM    
You really shouldn't use your computer at work to run torrents, you know...
by Guest on 2014/09/02 01:27:09 AM    
I never said I was at work. I said I have 6 users on this machine. I suppose I should have made that more clear:

I have set up 6 user accounts on this, my personal laptop computer, and I make use of these accounts in order to test the various security features of the Windows 7 operating system (purportedly a C2 level security system; as outlined by the "US Department of Defense") under varying conditions and setups, in a controlled environment.

So, you can probably guess that the very *last thing* one would want in a situation like that, where I am attempting to keep these various accounts *isolated* in terms of access to 1. software, 2. internet resources, 3. port access, 4. file access, 5. system configuration access and so on, would be to allow any old piece of software, publisher known or not, complete and total⁺ *System Level* access to every single resource existing on the system. Trusted Installer can do this for every single existing user account, bypassing passwords at will, it can create or delete SACL ACE's (System Access Control List entries - those are the ones pertaining to "Audit messages" ); a privilege not granted to typical network Administrators.

---------
⁺ "Trusted Installer" can and does override "System Administrator" defined settings, it can *and will* create file and/or registry entries that are inaccessible * even to "NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM" *.

Now, I shouldn't need to come out and say it that Microsoft's installation system is "profoundly idiotic".

If the publisher is unknown, and the installation designer (someone like myself) is unaware that this "Trusted Installer" access is rarely if ever required in order to go through with an install, then what you provide to the customer say, is A UAC prompt that says basically "We don't know and can't trust this installer program, so would you like to

A) not install the program

or

B) give the untrusted program complete and total access to your system?

If you choose the right answer A) then you will never again be able to install software on your system.

If you choose B) then anything can happen and there's no way to find out what it was. See, after you've handed over the keys basically, no further alerts will be forthcoming. The program can do anything it wants.

When I installed Corel Paint Shop Pro, it installed about 20 system-level components and 6 video filters, 2 services (that I found) and the system won't even let me (lowly administrator) to unregister its installed components. Access denied. It won't allow NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM either. I have to accept that from now on Corel has God-like power over my system at any time it chooses.

Of course, I could have chosen "No" and got my $500.00 back. But then I have to write my own image editor which I probably should.

- Alan

Edited to add:

I forgot to mention option "C" which is NOT given at the prompt:

C) Allow the program to run with limited user-level access and prompt whenever it attempts to access a global resource.

Why option C is not given is a mystery I will never solve. It is the right and safest option for ALL cases. Create a subfolder under Program Files? Sure okay. Install a network service? No chance man. Just pretend it succeeded. etc

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server