Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Peer View Source

by Sailor24 on 2014/07/28 05:26:26 AM    
I added the column source to peer view. I am puzzled by one thing. A good percentage of my peers come from something labeled "incoming". For the life of me I can't figure out what that is? I am sure it is going to be something obvious and I will feel like a foul for not seeing it. Feel free to flame I have my fire suit on.LOL

Edit You always get better ideas after you post dumb questions. I am guessing they got my IP and initiated the contact before I had their IP so that must be DHT as I don't see it listed on any peers. I only see PEX or tracker and of coarse many incoming.
by Pete on 2014/07/28 11:44:16 AM    
You are right, Incoming means this peer's source is incoming connection. Tixati doesn't know how he obtained your IP address, it may be tracker, DHT, PEX, local peer discovery or manual.
by Sailor24 on 2014/07/29 03:33:10 AM    
I think I understand now. Thanks. Incoming means they contacted me for the connection and when I see PEX DHT or tracker it means I contacted them for the connection and I got the address from which ever is listed.

So I may have their address but if they contact me it says incoming. If that is the way it is I might suggest this is the best way to troubleshoot open port problems. What I mean is you ask someone to turn it on and if they don't see incoming anywhere it means they are not receiving connections.
by Pete on 2014/07/29 09:10:53 AM    
The Source column shows how Tixati learned about a peer's IP address. If you had their IP address earlier from somewhere, for example DHT, and later the peer connects to you, the source stays the same (DHT).

On peer view there is the Link column. Among other things, it informs if connection is incoming or outgoing, but this is only for current connection. For example if an unknown peer connects there will be incoming in Source column and incoming connection symbol in Link column, but if he is disconnected and later you connect to him, there will be Source: incoming but Link: outgoing connection.

I think you are right, if there aren't any peers with incoming as Source after a while, it may mean that Tixati's incoming port is not open.

(There is also an option in Settings > User Interface > Output Formatting, named "Display encrypted / incoming flags with peer address", it doubles the Link column information and is useful for the Tree View layout.)
by Sailor24 on 2014/07/29 01:27:57 PM    
Always wondered what those green arrows were. So down to the dot is incoming connection and up from the dot is me connecting to them? In that column there were letters ei, eu or something like that. They are gone now I suspect they left when I went back to 1.95. Assuming that was connection type IE encrypted? I have clicked that box and they are back. I am not clear on what those letters mean? I see e is encryption I is incoming and U is udp and no U is tcp.

I have a torrent that has been up for a few days none stop with the same 8 seeds and all but one is still marked incoming. Two have the arrow up as if I made the connection, these are both IVP6.
I just looked at everything and I have over half my peers all as incoming and a significant number say 30% have the arrow up . Some IVP6 some 4.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server