Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Download speed is slow

by Guest on 2024/10/03 07:05:06 PM    
I have an issue that downloading speed is 75 KB/s. If I reboot my router then in increases to my usual speed like up to 10 MB/s. Although I have 500 Mb/s network (Speedtest shows like 470-480).
I'm not sure the problem is only in the router.
Nevertheless I installed qBittorent (I tried only libtorrent 2.0.x series version) and it starts to download and increased speed to 40 MB/s.
I delete Tixati configs and Tixati starts to download at its usual speed 10 MB/s.
I tried qBittorent again and it agais shows 40 MB/s.
So even if my router lags (I'm not sure because speedtest shows full speed) Tixati definitely has some problem.
All configs for Tixati and qBittorent were default except the directory (it was on the same disk).
I have old Tixati configs and new if you need but I can't find how to attach it.
by Guest on 2024/10/05 12:35:21 AM    
Do you connect to the same set of peers, and see that their throughput is different? Most clients won't connect to the same IP address twice on the same torrent, so if you're testing two clients in quick succession, you probably have two sets of peers, characterised by which client port they learned about first. One might be quite different in size and collective speed.
by Anoid on 2024/10/05 11:30:33 PM    
Given Sandvine and ISP blocking torrents download speeds maybe a tad impacted but patience is rewarded.

Trolls are constantly litigating in the US but they are fighting a losing battle.
by Guest on 2024/10/08 10:36:27 AM    
I didn't check if seeders were the same, but I expected the issue several times (when Tixati download speed is limited to 75 KB/s).
And 75 KB/s is not the only problem with Tixati - I tried like 5 times and qBittorrent always downloads like at 30-40 MB/s while Tixati always not more than 10-13 MB/s (the same torrent file, the same time, computer, disk and network).
I deleted Tixati configs and now I can't see 75 KB/s, it always 10-13 MB/s max. But qB still has more, 30-40 MB/s.
by ZarkBit on 2024/10/13 05:05:08 PM    
Hmm, this is a weird behavior that I'm also experiencing, and I've been replicating this on a constant basis, QB not only manages to achieve higher speeds, it also manages to find peers way faster than Tixati, for a while I thought it was an issue with either my Tix configuration, my router or my system.

Formatted my system, same behavior. Tried a clean install, same behavior. Even tried a different ISP with different routers (currently I have 2 ISPs, Vodafone 100mbps and Digi 1gbps) and I still get the same behavior. Tixati not only is slow DLing but it also takes a really long time fetching peers. So something is definitely going on with Tix, even with default settings. I can saturate both my networks using QB, while Tix performs poorly.

Edit: Also, no trackers, DHT/PeX/LPD only on both clients.
by ZarkBit on 2024/10/13 06:26:28 PM    
Yeah, something is definitely going on with Tix.

Decided to give it a run on a national private tracker. Not a lot of peers (50 or so), so the chance for fetching the same peers are extremely high, and upload speeds range from 100mbps to 10gbps.

With QB not only did it fetch all peers instantly, it also saturated the 1gbps network, instantly, DLing stuff at 100MB/s.
With Tix, there were a lot of peer Timed out connections, and speeds never went over 40MB/s.

Edit: Wondering if it's the Piece Creation Limiter, will be running some tests on this setting.
by ZarkBit on 2024/10/13 07:27:45 PM    
Something that I noticed regarding the low speed. Seems like Tix is doing some sort of load balancing on all peers,

I noticed some peers having their priority lowered, not sure why Tix was doing this considering I had enough bandwidth, RAM/Page file and disk speed, so I went to the Auto-Deprioritize Bandwidth settings (Settings -> Transfers -> Peers) and set it to normal.
Another setting that I messed with is the Piece Creation Limiter (Settings -> Transfers -> Files), since I'm still figuring out what each option does, I set everything to 999999.

With all this, Tix finally managed to saturate my 1gbps network.

!!!WARNING!!!
Messing with the Piece Creation Limiter may result in increased RAM usage, I tested this with a 23GB file and Tix was using 12GB of RAM, so be extra careful.
by Guest on 2024/10/16 03:14:46 PM    
> ZarkBit
> Messing with the Piece Creation Limiter may result in increased RAM usage, I tested this with a 23GB file and Tix was using 12GB of RAM, so be extra careful.

What about qB, does it take a lot of RAM too?
by ZarkBit on 2024/10/17 06:13:21 AM    
Managed to get the same 12GB ram consumption on QB by setting its Process Memory Priority to Normal and Disk Cache to 11444 MiB (all in advanced settings).

So, just mess around with Tix Piece Creation Limiter settings and see what fits you best.
by Guest on 2024/10/19 03:29:26 PM    
ZarkBit, thanks for the explanation.
But it looks that the easy way is to use qB and don't care if something will go wrong next time. Before I tried qB and it had not enough features, but sine that many years it seems it's a little bit better.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server