Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

How To Increase My Share Ratio

by coltonyyz on 2024/06/14 05:31:41 AM    
Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked already. I did try to search my question but I'm not finding the information I am looking for.

When I am trading files, it seems that I share about 1% of what I am downloading.

In other words, if I am getting speeds of 1 MB incoming, the outgoing speed is around 1K upload. The trend continues as the faster the file I download, the faster the outgoing speed gets. Ex. 5MB incoming shows 5K outgoing.

I hope I am making sense. I have a 1GB connection and want to offer as fast as possible for others to download, at the same time, keeping the fast incoming speeds I get (or faster if even possible of course).

If someone could tell me what settings to change to maximize the benefits of incoming and outgoing, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
by Guest on 2024/06/16 05:23:53 PM    
When you download data from one or more peers, and there are no other downloaders around, you don't generate data upload traffic to anyone. That minimal <1% network activity is just for protocol messages for peers you've connected to (“have bytes X-Y”, “need bytes Y-Z”, and so on), in general, you can safely ignore it.

When there's a lot of seeders, and only a couple of people downloading, the upload is shared more or less equally between them. If there's 50 seeders and 5 leechers, and they can all connect to each other in most combinations, each seeder uploads only about 10% of torrent data. It is completely normal.

When there's not a lot of seeders, but leechers appear regularly, those seeders upload a lot. Today, the key is not network bandwidth, the key is being available when leechers appear. Therefore, the more you keep running the client, and the longer you run torrents you want to keep alive, the better.

This is for public torrents, where technical ratio is not important. If you talk about private trackers, just forget it. Ratio economy was already misleading 15-20 years ago, and today, when influx of new users is close to zero, it's simply a lie. No one is going to appear to leech your torrents, and increase your ratio, in years. Check what is actually requested from users (time points, bonus points, data input, or other work). If you only can pay to increase your ratio on a closed tracker, it's simply a fraud, slightly extended “pay2pirate” scheme.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server