Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Iincreasing speeds in poor signal areas (new to Tixati)...

by Guest on 2014/06/12 03:15:46 AM    
Greetings,
I’m relatively new to the world of torrents, and definitely new to “Tixati”.  Tixati was found by a happy accident (prior client uTorrent).  After installing Tixati, I naturally tried to improve its speed through the tutorials.
It might be helpful to understand my situation, I live in a rural area of the Philippines.  My internet signal is poor at best, via a mobile Wi-Fi unit and a wireless signal with a local telecommunications ISP (i.e.: cellphone connection).
After utilizing the tutorials, my speed increased only slightly (8 to 10Kbs increased to 10 to 14 Kbs with 10 peers, with numerous pikes and valleys).  As you can see it takes days to download a 1080p film of average size 1.5 GB. continuing my quest to increase my speed, I happened upon <settings/Network/Connections> where I discovered the <Local IPv4 address (Blank by Default) was indeed blank.  I entered my Windows IP address <com prompt-ipconfig /al (locate your IPv4 address)> and my speed increased, to an average of 15Kbs with occasional valleys.  Which by my thinking is a significant improvement.
I’m still dealing with DHT issues, if I can figure them out and the community responds favorably to this report.  I’ll submit my findings regarding these problems.
Hopefully this will help other poor souls with similar situations.
by Stack on 2014/06/17 02:43:32 PM    
I'd suggest not downloading the 1080p version if you have only 5-15KBps download.

The best guide I've found on optimizing torrent clients is from Deluge; http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/BandwidthTweaking.  I'm not sure how relevant it is to your extremely low bandwidth but you might find it useful.

In almost every case the only setting you need to change in any torrent client is max upload speed. All of the other settings are taken care of. I'd recommend setting it at 80% or lower of your tested upload speed. http://www.speedtest.net/  for a speed test.
by Pete on 2014/06/20 10:19:34 AM    
I think you should also set low "Maximum peers connections per transfer" value, 25 is minimum (55 default, 200 max). You can disable DHT completely, download only .torrent files and rely on trackers. DHT consumes some bandwidth, on DHT view you can see how much you'll gain. If you need DHT, you can at least disable IPv6 (Network mode IPv4 only), that should cut some DHT activity. In my opinion any 1080p movie that is 1.5GB will be of poor quality due to very high compression. I would download lower resolution SD movie instead.
by Sailor24 on 2014/06/21 06:04:40 AM    
Interesting post. I saw this the other day and wanted to reply but.... cell connections are complicated things, for the life of me I could not figure out how too. Your biggest problem is going to be something called "TCP Congestion Correction". That is why I did not post, I wanted to try and explain it but.... I can't. I would have to write pages so my suggestion is you google that and if you have a specific question maybe I can explain in simple terms.

Anyway I think I can help a bit but maybe not 15 might be your max. Connection quality will be your biggest problem based on TCP congestion, first is how do you receive the signal? Is it beamed to an antenna or open air?
Waiting on that, if you improved your rate based on IP input then you likely will see a bigger increase based on manually adding your primary and secondary DNS servers. You may have to call your internet suppler and ask them for the two numbers and if it is their modem how to do it. In modem config it can be misleading usually the word access is used. Never as simple as DNS config. That said improving your antenna or reception will give you the biggest gain.

On a side note. I down highly compressed files all of the time and they don't play well without lots of CPU power, but they do have all the info of a 5 or 6 GB file. No one says you can't re-encode the file to something larger to reduce the CPU demand.

It is not the file that is of poor quality it is the computer or player not being able to uncompress properly.  If you are not getting good playback on that file size try re- encoding to a 3 gb file size. I use PS 3 server and push most thru my PS3 to an amp and wide screen. I frequently see data rates equal to blu ray discs. This setup basically gives me two computers working on the play back.

I am re-encoding on the fly but have lots of power. The results are much better than playing back on VLC alone. If you don't have a min of two processors, maybe better to say four processors, then you should re-encode the file before play back setting the file size much larger. On handbrake you would choose large file size, on freemake it will do it by itself because it is not capable of high compression.  That said it is MP4 to MP4 or MKV to MP4 or to MKV.

Bottom line is why down more than you need to. Just internet pollution.
by Guest on 2014/06/21 11:11:16 AM    
Sailor24 give some good ideas, where I wanna add some.

Basicaly the problem is, that the total bandwidth is divided under all cellphone users.
You might have better connection and higher bandwidth in the nighttime, when most people sleep.

Some time ago I saw on youtube a video, where a guy make his own parabolic-antenna with the
wifi or UMTS stick in the middle and directed the antenna to a 1 mile distant station
and therefore gained 10 times speed. You might google that or freeantennas

I have too an UMTS-HSDPA stick (in central europe) and I have just tested it,
DL over 2Mbps and UL 300Kbps, I frequently get DL 400 KBs and more with HSDPA.
You might wanna check, see and wait a few month until in your area the new standard of LTE is available.
There is an english wikipedia report about LTE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

I found out, that the standard default values of the UMTS stick are sometimes not good.
You might check under your UMTS stick PROPERTIES or in Control panel, if the UL and DL values are set on the highest value.

Are you sure, your ISP doesn't limit the speed?
In most cases, when your Total reached e.g. 1 GB or so (depending on the ISP), they cut you down sharply.
In my case, when I got 5 GB in one month, they cut me down to 64 KB/s. Sometimes less than that.

BTW, don't even think about trying the above mentioned program Deluge.
I tried it and its the worst torrent client I have ever seen.
by Guest on 2014/06/22 06:46:55 AM    
If your "1080p film" is 1.5GB then its not 1080p or its a very very short film, average 1080p film is around the 8GB mark.
by Guest on 2014/06/25 05:27:48 AM    
WOW "Sailor24" you gave me a lot to digest!  However most helpful, thanks a bunch.  Quickly, regarding "Guest" suggesting of downloading at night.  You are correct, I have noticed higher download rates, between 2 and 4 A.M., Sunday early mornings 3 to 6 A.M. seem to show an increase in speeds as well.  Back to "Sailor24", it will take me some time to glean all your info and turn it into something I can deal with. :p  But truly, thank you
by Guest on 2014/06/25 10:00:03 PM    
I'm "Guest" from central europe.

I forgot to point out, it is extremely important, how you position the UMTS stick.
Worst thing is, to leave it directly at an USB port at the computer.
Get an USB extension cable and position the stick at the window.
Extremely important, don't put it flat, the stick must be exaktly in vertical position.
Some equipment manufacturers make a "post" stand, where the stick attaches at the top
with a 2 feet cable. Thats already a good way to start.

Next problem is the high power consumption of the USB stick.
I solved this problem with an USB 2.0 hub with EXTERNAL power supply.
That way you can increase also the distance to the computer.
(My USB hub with 4 outlets has an original power supply with 2100 mAh,
its a relatively big and heavy piece)

The fine tuning is, the UMTS stick should be omni-directional, but it isn't.
Turn the "post" 1/8 or 1/4 to find out the best signal.
by Guest on 2014/07/04 09:18:06 AM    
The peaks and valleys would be caused by either the changing reception or ISP throttling. Check to make sure you have a good connection and check with your ISP for their policy on torrenting. In my case my wireless provider doesn't allow any torrenting.

The easiest way to get rid of those peak and valleys on a wired connection (where the cause is ISP imposed limits) is in Step 1 of http://www.tixati.com/optimize/,  setting a throttle.

The Deluge guide doesn't address extremely slow connections like yours here's one that has exact values for connections in your ball park http://ktetch.co.uk/2009/12/recommended-bittorrenttorrent-settings-html/

The Local IPv4 setting in <settings/Network/Connections> you changed should be left blank unless you have multiple internet connections. If you don't know what the setting actually does changing it can just cause more problems. If you changed many settings restoring to default might be the best idea.

If downloading at night helped, I'd also suggest if you ever go to town or closer to the cell towers to bring your computer along. You could also check if there are cafes that offer Wifi / internet that you could use.

You also mentioned a DHT problem, could you elaborate? Also do a http://www.speedtest.net/

Sailor24: UDP is the easiest way to escape any slow downs based around TCP's limits. You can set it to UDP only under <settings/Network/Connections> but I don't recommend that for most connections as it just reduces the amount of peers you can connect to. DNS is not used during normal BitTorrent usage as all peers are in IP address form already. Re-encoding media only loses details, the reason we have to transcode for the PS3 is because it only accepts very few formats and codecs.

As to Guest's jab at Deluge:  I mentioned using the guide not the client, we're all here because we prefer Tixati over the rest. Deluge's guide is 10-fold more detailed than Tixati's support documents. We have our own Tixati specific guide but it doesn't mention number of connections which I think is relevant in his case because of how extremely slow his connection is. Deluge is an excellent simple and fully featured client, it just isn't Tixati (or what you wanted when you tried it).
by Guest on 2014/07/13 03:39:51 AM    
Greetings Guys,

Sorry for such a late response, I've been busy trying out the numerous suggestions.  Plus some of my own, after reading just short of a million websites in the attempt to improve my download speeds.  Some thoughts worked, some didn't.  I spent a bunch of wasted time, with "port forwarding".  Once it was set up (without the aid of the PORTFORWARDING website and their near $30.00 annual subscription). I discovered my only internet connection was Tixati, no internet, cloud access, etc., guess I did something wrong but couldn't figure it out.  It also failed to improve my download speeds.

Regarding "Guests" suggestion of having my Wi-Fi in a window.  Been there, done that.  My Wi-Fi is wireless portable, I've got it located with the strongest signal available.  I tried the antenna bit (pie tin behind the Wi-Fi), but it blocked the signal from the Wi-Fi to my PC/Cellphone.

I made this observation just over the past few days my signal has improved dramatically.  From the usual 15 to 25Kb/s, to an astounding 150 to 200Kb/s per torrent (but never all the downloads, usually only one.  While the others improve perhaps 33%).   I read somewhere long ago, that clients rewarded you for seeding and penalized if you do not.  Currently I have some 50 odd seeding downloads, while most are inactive they are available should anyone desire to use them.  Perhaps, I've made the grade and am receiving my rewards :-).   Whatever the reasons I'm grateful.

Once again, thanks to all the guests and sailor24 for all the helpful tips and suggestions.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server