Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Feature Request: VPN kill switch and Mullvad VPN, IVPN and Proto

by Guest on 2023/10/15 10:27:08 AM    
Hello. I was wondering if Tixati will ever have a VPN kill switch that shuts down the  application if the real IP address is exposed. I was also wondering on the possibility of TCP BitTorrent over Tor hidden services, but that is a post for later. I was wondering if you could take a look at the protonVPN, Mullvad and IVPN source code and see if you could implement a function that lets you sign in and routes Tixati over a separate VPN connection to the rest of the computer. The VPN services I listed are the only ones I can fully trust that their strict no logs policy is legit. I use protonVPN by the way as your IP logs might indicate. Also, what happens to the Tixati source code if you die or are otherwise unable to maintain it, do you have a plan in place?
by Guest on 2023/10/16 04:03:58 AM    
In Settings > Network > Connections you can select the Local IPv4/IPv6 interface to be the VPN.
Then Tixati should essentially disconnect when the selected VPN interface disconnects.
by Guest on 2023/10/16 06:39:07 PM    
I think the original poster is actually asking:

"Is it possible to VPN only the Tixati application traffic over VPN while using the rest of computer on a normal Internet connection?"

The solution above assumes the entire computer is VPN'd
by Guest on 2023/10/18 04:40:14 PM    
Is it possible to VPN only the Tixati application traffic over VPN while using the rest of computer on a normal Internet connection?
For the individual app I would recommend using the socks5 proxy settings for now with a socks5-to-wireguard software like https://github.com/pufferffish/wireproxy  . This works software that honor all network settings and don't try fall back methods. The current version of Tixati v3.19 behaves well and is not leaky.

The reason why application based VPNs don't make much sense because the majority of applications use intermediaries to access the internet. For example on Windows, many just tell windows to "get this", and the what will actually access the internet is svchost.exe. Same on Linux: delete curl and see how many of your software will break.

Currently the solution in most operating systems is to launch apps under separate users, and attach rules/policies to that user somehow.
There is Safing's SPN ( https://safing.io/spn/  ) but I'm not sure if its production ready. And I don't think it gives a "this app tries to launch a network-enabled app, do you want to allow it?" pop-up.
by Guest on 2023/10/21 01:28:20 AM    
I was asking how to get tixati running on a separate VPN connection from the rest of the computer. I already have this functionality in Chrome, Firefox and their derivatives through the protonVPN browser extension running in my browser with the protonVPN client app running on the computer OS itself. I am pretty sure Mullvad, Mozilla VPN, and IVPN have their own browser extensions too. I can trust Mozilla VPN since it uses Mullvad VPN servers that Mozilla does not have access to other than providing login credentials, although I wish Mozilla VPN would split their infrstructure between multiple VPN providers so long as the provider itself is trustworthy, I would trust RiseUP.net, Incognet, ProtonVPN, Mullvad VPN and IVPN or any other providers with similar privacy practices and good track records to these five.
by Guest on 2023/10/22 07:31:28 PM    
Browser extension running in my browser with the client app running on the computer OS itself.
If the extension works without without the client app, it's likely just a misleading marketing saying "VPN" instead of "socks5 proxy".
The client apps may have a socks5-to-vpn functionality that I have mentioned before, and the browser extensions just configure the socks5 settings.
You may check your browser's network settings and copy it to Tixati.

Does the ProtonVPN browser add-on work without the client app? (can't find the add-ons' source code at https://github.com/orgs/ProtonVPN/repositories  )

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server