Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

UI BUG - Torrent completion Toast message shows wrong name

by Guest on 2023/04/08 07:25:59 PM    
I often download movies from this particular torrent site, and every time I deselect all the files in the torrent other than the main MP4 and the English subs, like so:

https://ibb.co/pPfvJQv

However, more often than not, Tixati's torrent completion message displays the name of a text file (that is included by default in every torrent on that site) that I have NOT selected, instead of the torrent's name:

https://ibb.co/R750Jwj

So for example in the case above, why would it show the name of the unselected text file in the completion message, instead of the actual torrent name?

IMO there's no need for Tixati to try and be clever and display the name of any specific file - just simplify the code to always display the name of the torrent/main folder itself (or whatever name the user edited it to while adding, and is being displayed in the list on the Transfers tab).

-----

Tixati 3.17.1 x64 on fully updated Win10 Home 22H2. The bug has existed for as long as I've been using Tixati i.e. ~3 years, but just got around to reporting it now.
by Guest on 2023/04/16 12:14:10 AM    
Any insight regarding this from the dev?
by Guest on 2023/04/16 04:44:05 AM    
are you sure that the complete txt file popup you saw was for a torrent that has that file turned off?
many torrents have that txt file.
it was downloaded because it overlaps with something you did select to download, but i dont think you should see a message that it has completed.
by Guest on 2023/04/21 01:36:39 AM    
>> are you sure that the complete txt file popup you saw was for a torrent that has that file turned off?

Absolutely 100% sure. It happens regularly, and I literally just saw the exact same message not more than a minute ago for a torrent from the same site that finished downloading. I've got another one nearing completion as well in another minute or so, and pretty sure I'll see that exact same message yet again, despite the fact that that text file is never, ever selected by me while adding any torrent from that site.

There is something that is triggering a wrong torrent completion message from Tixati here, definitely.

>> it was downloaded because it overlaps with something you did select to download, but i dont think you should see a message that it has completed.

Yes, a piece might have been downloaded by Tixati to its incomplete-pieces directory, if that piece contained whole or part of that unselected text file along with some part of any other selected file. However, since I did unselect that text file, it should not be written to or saved in the torrent's download dir. Just to be clear, Tixati doesn't mess up there - it doesn't actually write that unselected text file to the download dir. What it is doing however, is mentioning that unselected text file's name in the torrent completion message. Note that there are other unselected files too, such as the EXE file that's also present in every torrent from that site. However Tixati never shows that EXE file's name in the torrent completion toast message, only the TXT file. Why? That's the real mystery here for the dev to solve.

Ah, right on cue, as I was typing the above the torrent finished downloading and here's the predictably buggy result:

https://ibb.co/QXFdmFF
https://ibb.co/6WcbrDq

What gives? 🤨
by Guest on 2023/05/01 11:38:42 PM    
Would be nice to get some sort of acknowledgement of this bug at least from the dev.
by janet on 2023/05/02 05:39:09 AM    
The Dev is looking into this.
by Guest on 2023/05/03 11:52:31 AM    
Thank you @Janet, appreciate it.
by Guest on 2023/05/11 10:51:07 PM    
Unfortunately, this bug continues to plague Tixati v3.18 released recently: https://ibb.co/FDFrvCM
by KH on 2023/05/28 08:36:56 AM    
Thanks for the report.  Should be fixed for 3.19.

There was a problem dealing with overlapped file edge pieces causing completion of zero-priority files which then push a notification.  Notifications are now prevented from zero-priority files.

If there's still more trouble with this in 3.19 please post a reply and I'll take a closer look.  In an upcoming version I'm probably going to also add some more options to Settings > User Interface > Behavior > Notifications to control whether or not individual files show notifications vs the whole transfer.
by Guest on 2023/06/01 12:53:15 PM    
Just got the update notification for 3.19.

@KH: Thank you for looking into this issue and possibly fixing it as well. 😃

Notifications are now prevented from zero-priority files.
So does this mean in 3.19 at least the notifications will only show the torrent's name?

In an upcoming version I'm probably going to also add some more options to Settings > User Interface > Behavior > Notifications to control whether or not individual files show notifications vs the whole transfer.
That will be much appreciated. I'm rarely in such a hurry that I need to be notified of a specific file's completion as opposed to the entire torrent's (at least all that I've selected of it), but it will be good for users to have the option to turn on/off individual file notifications if they so please.
by Guest on 2023/06/18 06:10:17 AM    
@KH @Janet

Thanks for the report.  Should be fixed for 3.19.

There was a problem dealing with overlapped file edge pieces causing completion of zero-priority files which then push a notification.  Notifications are now prevented from zero-priority files.

If there's still more trouble with this in 3.19 please post a reply and I'll take a closer look.
Unfortunately @KH the bug seems to have resurfaced in 3.19 itself, so looks like more fixes are needed. :(

https://ibb.co/RYTy0mJ

As you can see in the screenshot, the name of the small .NFO file, which was not selected right at the time of torrent addition, is still displayed in the torrent completion message (same thing happened with both torrents). In both cases the .NFO file is just 32 bytes in comparison to the main .MP4, so those 32 bytes clearly got downloaded as part of one of the 1 MB pieces that contained the .MP4's data. The .NFO wasn't actually present in the download directory for either torrent, so there's no problem with that; just that the notification is still being triggered for zero-priority files which are getting completed.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server