Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

3.16 64 bit causing pc reboot

by Ashman23 on 2023/02/25 04:40:08 AM    
I've been using Tixati for a long time now (probably at least 5 years) without any issues but perhaps for the past 2 years my pc would freeze intermittently, I couldn't work out what it was and tried some adjustments but basically put up with it as it wasn't all that often. Eventually I did some basic testing and I realised tixati (64 bit version) was causing this as this was the only common denominator.

Now I start to download a torrent and occasionally my pc will restart.

I've done some googling for a solution of what to check without much success, hence my post.

My machine is a bit older and running Windows 10;  i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16gig ram, not sure what other info to post.

Thank you for any guidance.
by notaLamer on 2023/02/27 06:41:45 PM    
Check if your RAM is still good. You need a free USB drive and memtestx86+ ( https://www.memtest.org/  ). I think it had an own tool to write to the USB drive though alternatives include Rufus and YUMI. I suppose your SecureBoot has always been disabled, you only need to keep F8 pressed during early boot to select to boot from USB or change the priorities in your UEFI aka BIOS. Usually there are instructions on the screen telling you which buttons work.

Once the blue screen of memtest appears it will start running automatically. It's recommended to let it run for full 24h or at the very least over night, 8 or more hours. If it doesn't show any errors by then you can simply shutdown or reset the PC. If it shows a couple errors, take a photo and come back for further instructions.

If there're no errors then your RAM is alright and the suspicion falls on other hardware. Alternatively you can see whether Windows records the crash as a BSoD, bluescreenview should be able to read these dumps or set your Windows 10 to not reboot when a BSoD occurs.
by Guest on 2023/03/11 07:07:19 AM    
Hello, I ran memtest a couple of different times and my RAM is fine.

I'll try bluescreenview next the error occurs.
by Guest on 2023/03/11 02:15:02 PM    
What are you doing in Tixati when it restarts your computer? downloading? seeding? channels? how many?
does it reboot at any other time when tixati is not running?
do you run any other programs that would use a lot of internet and/or cpu?
by TX007 on 2023/03/11 11:27:03 PM    
by Guest on 2023/03/11 07:07:19 AM    
Hello, I ran memtest a couple of different times and my RAM is fine.
After excluding RAM, I can only think about problematic drivers (Tixati doesn't install any drivers) or some corrupt Windows files. To check and repair Windows files, you need to use the command SFC /SCANNOW as admin (you can google how to do that). If the previous command tells you that your Windows installation is fine, then it's likely that you have a problematic driver. In this case, there is multiple possibilities: Antivirus drivers, audio drivers, monitor drivers, LAN drivers, WLAN drivers, VPN drivers...
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/15 03:40:10 AM    
What are you doing in Tixati when it restarts your computer? downloading? seeding? channels? how many?
does it reboot at any other time when tixati is not running?
do you run any other programs that would use a lot of internet and/or cpu?

I'm normally just downloading one torrent at the time (depending on size from 2g to 6g) probably seeding about 5 to 7 files. Not sure about channels (I've never clicked in that tab tbh).
PC only freezes/restarts when I have Tixati running.
I'd be using chrome for internet and may have 6 to 8 tabs at the time, haven't tested it but I think I've been using Netflix when it's occurred.

BTW, thanks for help and suggestions
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/15 03:41:42 AM    
To check and repair Windows files, you need to use the command SFC /SCANNOW as admin (you can google how to do that). If the previous command tells you that your Windows installation is fine, then it's likely that you have a problematic driver. In this case, there is multiple possibilities: Antivirus drivers, audio drivers, monitor drivers, LAN drivers, WLAN drivers, VPN drivers...

Thank you, I'll try SFC /SCANNOW and report back. I appreciate the help.
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/15 04:14:58 AM    
I ran SFC /SCANNOW which did report there were corrupt files and they were repaired.

I'd post the log but it is quite long.
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/18 11:42:45 AM    
I just had a crash; ntoskrnl.exe was what caused it.

Sorry, not sure what to post;

ntoskrnl.exentoskrnl.exe+494b70fffff804`6c000000fffff804`6d0460000x010460000xbdc97bfc25/11/2070 10:45:00 AMMicrosoft® Windows® Operating SystemNT Kernel & System10.0.19041.2728 (WinBuild.160101.0800)Microsoft CorporationC:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
by Guest on 2023/03/18 10:07:32 PM    
are you sending in the crash report? thats the best way to get this solved.
ntoskrnl appears to be a kernel file, are any other programs having problems?
were you doing anything specific in tixati when it crashed?
by notaLamer on 2023/03/19 07:50:23 AM    
Ashman23, thanks but the interesting part is at the top of BluescreenView. Where you see a list of recent crashes, there's the "Bug Check String" same as "Bug Check Code" that states the reason of the crash. It also lets you "Google search <name> when right-clicked.
The info you posted would only be of interest if someone took apart your minidump file and the version of ntoskrnl.exe to find the root cause in code. I doubt there're skilled volunteers?

Update Windows if the search gets you nowhere, you're running Windows 10, version 2004. Microsoft purposefully neglects all Windows 10 releases to push people towards Windows 11.
Further I suggest you to run chkdsk and sfc /scannow again to rule out a repeatable problem with storage/system. It should not find any errors this time. As unlikely as it is...
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/23 11:41:10 AM    
by Guest on 2023/03/18 10:07:32 PM    
are you sending in the crash report? thats the best way to get this solved.
ntoskrnl appears to be a kernel file, are any other programs having problems?
were you doing anything specific in tixati when it crashed?

Thanks again for replying;
Yes, I always send the crash report
only ntoskrnl is the issue
I was only downloading one to two files and seeding 5 to 6 files, I had chrome open and was watching Netflix at the time, chrome had about 6 tabs open at the time
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/23 11:49:18 AM    
by notaLamer on 2023/03/19 07:50:23 AM    
Ashman23, thanks but the interesting part is at the top of BluescreenView. Where you see a list of recent crashes, there's the "Bug Check String" same as "Bug Check Code" that states the reason of the crash. It also lets you "Google search <name> when right-clicked.
The info you posted would only be of interest if someone took apart your minidump file and the version of ntoskrnl.exe to find the root cause in code. I doubt there're skilled volunteers?

Update Windows if the search gets you nowhere, you're running Windows 10, version 2004. Microsoft purposefully neglects all Windows 10 releases to push people towards Windows 11.
Further I suggest you to run chkdsk and sfc /scannow again to rule out a repeatable problem with storage/system. It should not find any errors this time. As unlikely as it is...

Thanks, your suggestion has led me onto having a deeper look into the crash report (I'm trying out windbg to analyze the crash report), I'll also retry chkdsk and report back.
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/24 03:41:26 AM    
I ran chdsk again and there were corrupted files which have been repaired :/
by Ashman23 on 2023/03/27 09:58:01 AM    
I've been downloading files and leaving tixati open to seed etc. whilst I do other things for a few hours at a time and so far so good.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server