Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati 3.14 problem. Always ask permission to execute tixati_win

by Guest on 2022/12/15 10:08:03 AM    
Never had this problem before update to v3.14.
I use portable version, Win10.
Now I open Tixati and for each torrent entered, the Windows security warning comes out asking me if I want to run the tixati_windows64bit.exe file.
Yes, I know that there is a check to warn before running the file but this only happened when you first started the program up to previous versions, but now from version 3.14 I always get the warning with every torrent loaded while the program is already running.

https://i.postimg.cc/RVj7jxWC/tixati.jpg
by Guest on 2022/12/15 12:32:31 PM    
how are you adding the torrents? add button, drag and drop?
does it matter?
do you have the load transfer window coming up?
do all torrent you add pop that window up?
does it happen if you load a magnet link?
when does it pop that window up?

i have tried to recreate this and cant.
by Guest on 2022/12/15 12:57:56 PM    
It happen when I visit page with torrent download, click on torrent link, then the browser (Firefox) ask me "what must I do with this file" and prompt me to "open the torrent file with" o "save it". From this prompt I open it with (select program) Tixati and then appear the warning windows (that is from Windows10) again and again for every torrent (see picture above).
Firefox is same version, not updated from Tixati 3.12 to 3.14 and before I have not this problem.
All torrent do the same.
It does not happen with magnet link.
It does not happen if I first download the terrent file and then I drop it into Tixati.
So the problem is only with open the file directly into Tixati from the prompting windows.
by notaLamer on 2022/12/15 04:12:13 PM    
Any time you download something from the internet, a special section of the file is marked with "Unsecure download source" (technically: see NTFS streams security metadata). In your case tixati.exe is marked as unsecure .exe file.
To remove this marker so it stops asking you, uncheck the checkbox "Avvisa sempre prima di aprire questo file" and run Tixati.

In English: "Open File Security Warning" Windows Tixati pop-up
by Guest on 2022/12/15 10:39:51 PM    
Did you read what I wrote in the first post?
QUOTE:
Yes, I know that there is a check to warn before running the file but this only happened when you first started the program up to previous versions, but now from version 3.14 I always get the warning with every torrent loaded while the program is already running.
by Guest on 2022/12/16 09:18:19 AM    
As I told in the first post:
"Yes, I know that there is a check to warn before running the file but this only happened when you first started the program up to previous versions, but now from version 3.14 I always get the warning with every torrent loaded while the program is already running."
by notaLamer on 2022/12/17 05:06:09 PM    
Offtopic note: If you post as guest, you need to wait until moderator approves the post. You don't see unapproved posts in queue if you come back to this page.

I once again ask you to check the security tags, however this time with proper instructions:
1. Download the "Streams" console utility by Sysinternals here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/streams
2. To use it you need to run it as "streams <file>" as described at the page from console. I use cmd.exe but you can use powershell too

Example 1: Tixati.exe has no Zone.Identifier:
C:\PATH\Streams>streams.exe "C:/tixati-portable/tixati_Windows64bit.exe"

streams v1.60 - Reveal NTFS alternate streams.
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Example 2: Streams.zip I just downloaded has a Zone.Identifier:
C:\PATH\Streams>streams.exe "C:/PATH/Streams.zip"

streams v1.60 - Reveal NTFS alternate streams.
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\PATH\Streams.zip:
  :Zone.Identifier:$DATA       129

What does 129 mean? It's the size of the file in bytes. In my case the full file path is "C:/PATH/Streams.zip:Zone.Identifier". Let's see what data there's written inside (again, taking this example from the download page):
C:\PATH\Streams>more < "C:\PATH\Streams.zip:Zone.Identifier"
[ZoneTransfer]
ZoneId=3
ReferrerUrl=https://learn.microsoft.com/
HostUrl=https://download.sysinternals.com/files/Streams.zip

I downloaded this file with Firefox and Firefox adheres to this Windows behavior policy. It noted the page's ReferrerUrl and the final download link. Such info is created for every file you download from the internet. What does ZoneId=3 stand for? Admittedly, that's a little harder and I'll omit some further research through educated guesses.
Following Microsoft's documentation, seemingly this is the page that lists different values here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/internet-explorer/ie-developer/platform-apis/ms537179(v=vs.85)

Notably:
URLPOLICY_ALLOW 0x00 = Allow the action to take place silently.
URLPOLICY_DISALLOW 0x03 = Do not allow the action.
URLPOLICY_QUERY 0x01 = Prompt the user to determine if an action is allowed.
URLPOLICY_MASK_PERMISSIONS 0x0f = Mask that can be used for comparisons to get the bits that pertain to permissions.

0xF (a hexadecimal number) tells us, the 4 bits are used as a "yes/no" values - a so called "bit flag".
ZoneId = 3 (decimal) = 0x3 (hexadecimal) = 0111 (binary). What does this tell Windows?

URLPOLICY_ALLOW = NO, because it wants ZoneId=0
URLPOLICY_DISALLOW = YES, because it is hexadecimal 3
URLPOLICY_QUERY = YES, because the right-most bit is set to 1 (aka Least Significant Bit): 0111.

So if I were to execute my Streams.zip, Windows would ask me (DISALLOW + QUERY) if this is really something I wanted to do.

Now after I've explained all of this, answer these two questions:
1. What is the ZoneId of your Tixati.exe?
2. What is the ZoneId of the .torrent file you try to open? I think the .torrent's file ZoneId is what causes your check.

Why would Windows ask you? When you run a program normally, to the OS it looks like this: tixati.exe. However when you open a file like .torrent, it looks like this: tixati.exe "some.torrent"; essentially Windows still thinks you're opening that other file even if tixati.exe is whitelisted from this check (ZoneId modified or removed).
by Guest on 2022/12/18 01:39:52 PM    
Response to OFF topic: sorry about the double post but the following day there was neither my previous reply nor any pending message so it seemed that the message had been deleted or rejected. Reinserting the post resulted in pending (and still there was no trace of the previous message) but when it was published both appeared, so maybe some problem in the meantime in the forum, I don't know anyway not dependent on me.

For the rest I tried what was described but I don't think the problem was inherent in that topic.
Anyway, I think I fixed it myself. I reset the Firefox handlers.json file and now it seems to work correctly without asking to run Tixati.exe. I think version 3.14 of Tixati had created a second instance in the preferences list in Firefox. One was the default one (the correct and working one) and one was the new one that triggered the problem. In fact, if while downloading the torrent I chose to open the file directly but left the "open with" field empty it worked correctly (perhaps taking the old default selection), if instead I selected Tixati it asked me for permission with windows worn prompt. Resetting the file now I open the torrent with the Tixati-default selection in Firefox prompt and everything works fine as before, without asking permission every time.
So Tixati screwed up some preferences in Firefox, now I fixed it.
Thanks for support, hope it can help.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server