Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Seeding to two different private trackers

by Dimitri001 on 2022/12/04 04:49:55 PM    
I'm a member of two private trackers that have the exact same file uploaded. I downloaded it on tracker A, but would like to seed to B, as well. I downloaded the torrent file from B and tried saving the file in the same folder where I downloaded from A, but Tixati tells me that a transfer of the same name already exists and that transfers should have different names to avoid conflicts. It, however, offers me the option to continue anyway with the same name.

What will happen if I continue? Will it then check the file and add another transfer of the same name on my list and be seeding to both trackers at the same time (in other words, the desired result) or will something go haywire in some way?

Is there some other way to achieve what I'm trying to achieve?
by CivilPDX on 2022/12/09 11:01:04 AM    
What will happen if I continue? Will it then check the file and add another transfer of the same name on my list and be seeding to both trackers at the same time (in other words, the desired result) or will something go haywire in some way?

in short, under the trackers tab you will see both Private Tracker's tracker announce URLs in the "trackers" tab. this isn't great. why? well when you see that prompt, it's because the infohash is the same on both of your .torrents. leaving it this way will result in your upload for one Private Tracker being reported to both, and you stand a good chance of having your account flagged for ratio cheating. if the infohash is same the only way to cross-seed it would be to load it into another client, on another port, etc. this is simply because the BitTorrent protocol doesn't get more granular then, talking to a peer about a unique infohash.

but most private tracker these days avoids this problem by creating a "source flag" in the info dictionary of a .torrent file with a string that is unique to *that* private tracker. this changes the infohash, letting you load what look like 2 seperate transfers in your client, force recheck one after the other downloads, and then each tracker doesn't get spoofed stats/etc.
by notaLamer on 2022/12/11 02:57:17 PM    
Let's quote from the private torrent proposal: https://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0027.html
When multiple trackers appear in the announce-list in the metainfo file of a private torrent (see multitracker extension in [4]), each peer MUST use only one tracker at a time and only switch between trackers when the current tracker fails. When switching between trackers, the peer MUST disconnect from all current peers and connect only to those provided from the new tracker.
The clients are expected to:
1. Only handle one private tracker at a time
2. Disconnect from everybody to avoid leaking peer info between trackers.

Simply put your idea is not intended and not supported. If you want to cross-seed this way, you'll need to launch another client or a second instance of Tixati (possible since v3.12) and load the torrent there with the same location.
by Guest on 2022/12/11 09:17:36 PM    
The "same torrent" will generate a pop-up asking whether you want to add the tracker to the already existing download. Only that pop-up might cause issue on a private trackers.
The "same file" (what you have) will generate a name already exists pop-up.

> Tixati tells me that a transfer of the same name already exists and that transfers should have different names to avoid conflicts.
You could just continue with the "merge" option, and you will be able to seed to both trackers. (You have the same content, but different torrents.)
If you have the same files, but different file structure or names in B, you may rename/move things under the "Files" tab in one torrent, select the file downloaded from tracker A and when Tixati asks, just click on merge. You may do a file-recheck for both torrents to make sure everything worked.

Depending on your settings I recommend stopping both torrents during the operation.

I hope it helped. Works the same in qBittorrent too.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server