Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

[Feature Req]Autonomous (self-hosted) BitTorrent DHT search engi

by Guest on 2022/11/29 09:10:43 PM    
I would love to see a torrent search engine built into Tixati which would allow searching the web for torrents.  More and more torrent sites are being removed from the web making it more and more difficult to find content.  I stumbled across a GitHub project (https://github.com/boramalper/magnetico  which is archived, but there are forks out there) which "allows anyone with a decent Internet connection to access the vast amount of torrents waiting to be discovered within the BitTorrent DHT space, without relying on any central entity." This type of search would allow P2P to be truly decentralized.

With this type of torrent search engine built in, Tixati would be be your one stop shop for P2P file sharing, and a user would not have to rely on public/private sites like piratebay, or any other program for P2P sharing.  Everything that you would need would be in Tixati.  As well a P2P user would not have to worry about having to register/visit P2P websites any more and the inherent risks associated with it.

I am really enjoying using Tixati, but am hesitant to download a lot of stuff because of all the legal 'stuff' going on around P2P sites.  With this type of search built into Tixati, a lot of those worries (not all of course) would go away.

I know other people would say just install the project yourself, but I'm not technically capable to installing this type of GitHub package, so hence the feature request.  I just think this type of included feature would make Tixati head over heels better than any other client that is out there (It's already the best IMO but this would put it off the charts).

https://github.com/boramalper/magnetico
by ZarkBit on 2022/11/30 10:27:06 PM    
+1
by Guest on 2022/12/01 05:03:01 PM    
+1
by Guest on 2022/12/03 05:03:30 PM    
+1
by Guest on 2022/12/08 02:20:19 PM    
Why not use Fopnu then?
by CivilPDX on 2022/12/09 10:43:08 AM    
while a good idea in concept, unfortunately I don't think there's a good way to implement a DHT searcher in a client due to the necessary scraping involved. These scrapers work in a way that puts a tremendous amount of strain on the network, essentially asking the entire DHT about every magnet link that exists and then making a DB on your PC to search from.. DHT doesn't work any other way, so this is required.

is it neat? yes, definitely.
is it practical for a significant amount of peers to be running software like this? definitely not

slightly off topic, but if you want something resembling a generic search for torrents... jackett is worth a look. install it and add a bunch of public indexers, you are 90% of the way there and with a lot less resources consumed.

there's also the channel sharing system built into Tixati too, but I assume you know of this
by ZarkBit on 2022/12/09 10:54:35 AM    
Fopnu is different, you have to use Fopnu to access whatever content is shared in it, that's not the case with the bittorrent protocol, having a bittorrent client with the capability of scraping the DHT network and provide a database of hashes to search from, could give the client an advantage (look how many people use qbittorrent because of its search plugins), users no longer had to rely on indexers, just like trackers being replaced by DHT.
by Guest on 2022/12/10 03:13:41 AM    
I think this is a important topic, first fopnu is a micro niche network, and tixati chats the samething, how compare this two with the DHT in number of files? No way. A build in search at first seem interesting, like qbittorrent or Bit Che, but the first issue is to keep the scripts (or plugins) updated, any site change and the search stop, but the reality is that search by torrents on browser is a good thing because you have sites with images, and other contents for instance in movies sites, with covers, actors, directors, productors, tags, etc, in a build in search you don't have all this rich informations, this make a lot of difference sometimes, I think bittorrent is so huge today, much because of this web based search, this was a genius thing, gnutella 1 e 2 was descentralized with build in search and now is dead, so the web based search is nice and good thing. But I use DHT search extremelly, I think it is essential to me, I use it ever, a lot, for instance Btdig, its interresting because Btdig run 24/7 finding new contents, and add to database, so you can search on this huge DHT  database very fast, you can sort by size, date, etc, so it work very well. Is the first time I heard about magnetico, it seem nice at first, but the question is: How fast magnetico show the search results? Is like run Btdig on my PC? And keep an huge local DB? If so I think it is not interesting, better go to Btdig or an brother (copy), but if magnetico show the results fast without a huge local DB, so this can be very nice and +1.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server