Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Cant add source when creating torrent (feature is missing)

by warlock777 on 2022/06/20 04:00:14 PM    
Hello,

I need to add source when uploading to pvt trackers. Its mandatory to add source in some pvt trackers.

If you see this picture, this is the feature I'm talking about https://i.imgur.com/ZfKb3lG.jpeg
by Guest on 2022/06/23 01:33:27 PM    
the source of what exactly.
put an example (no file names) of what you want to see in that source spot.
by ZarkBit on 2022/06/23 06:43:13 PM    
Using someone else's explanation
"a custom string field under "info" dict named "source" commonly used by private seeders/trackers."
by notaLamer on 2022/06/23 11:03:29 PM    
I did some research: "February 16th 2018 - qBittorrent v4.0.4 release - FEATURE: Add source field in Torrent creator. Closes #7965. (Chocobo1)"
qB wrote:
More and more private trackers use the source tag to allow easy cross-seeding between private trackers. I would like to see the ability to set a source (or custom) tag in the qBittorrent torrent creator.
- https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7965
The above link also leads to a BiglyBT request with further comments.
Must be yet another control-freak wish of the private trackers. For Tixati will look like yet another comment but not-comment text field. Why couldn't they settle on a specific tag within the comment box?
by Guest on 2022/06/24 01:19:31 AM    
i still dont get what could be in the source space. i need to see an example.
by ZarkBit on 2022/06/24 01:43:47 PM    
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7965#issuecomment-349292327

Private trackers that use this often fill in a three letter code specific for their tracker. Users that upload torrents can add it themselves (using dottorrent-gui for example) or the tracker will add it and the uploader needs to download the torrent with added tag from the tracker to start the seeding. Often people use different a locations for uploads than the default download location. So they will have to move files or edit download location and do a force recheck. If it would be implemented in the normal torrent creation process it would be much easier especially for novice users.

If if was not clear this is done to be able to cross-seed the same content between different private trackers. If no difference is made between the torrents the tracker addresses of the 2nd torrent will be added to the first and the seeders of both trackers will be mixed by the client.

This begs the question tho, how are the 3 letter codes determined, and if they use the Tracker Name's Initials, then what if the tracker only has 1 name.

So, probably a comment field like notaLamer said.

https://github.com/Chocobo1/qBittorrent/commit/1bd26cc36b084c05150622bc060f356118174a20#diff-16fb53057c6c1cbdfc00825c4d79bdeae7adfacc6b309b76bb6afb55f8a9e676L253-R288

      </widget>
     </item>
     <item row="2" column="1">
      <widget class="QTextEdit" name="txtComment">
       <property name="acceptRichText">
        <bool>false</bool>
       </property>
      </widget>
     </item>
     <item row="0" column="0">
      <widget class="QLabel" name="lbl_announce_url">
       <property name="text">
        <string>Tracker URLs:</string>
       </property>
      </widget>
     </item>
     <item row="2" column="0">
      <widget class="QLabel" name="lbl_comment">
       <property name="text">
        <string>Comments:</string>
       </property>
      </widget>
     </item>
     <item row="3" column="0">
      <widget class="QLabel" name="labelSource">
       <property name="text">
        <string>Source:</string>
       </property>
      </widget>
     </item>
     <item row="3" column="1">
      <widget class="QLineEdit" name="lineEditSource"/>
     </item>
    </layout>
   </widget>
  </item>

by Guest on 2022/07/04 07:02:51 AM    
@Guest in the source space field you add the tracker domain name. like exampletorrent.com
by Guest on 2022/07/04 07:07:27 AM    
Many private trackers now allow Tixati. But lack of some features in Tixati is making qBittorrent more dominant in pvt trackers.
Hope Tixati will progress more with help from developers.
by janet on 2022/07/04 08:41:57 PM    
A new version is coming soon with tracker improvements like Bittorrent V2 and more.
Stay tuned....
by janet on 2022/08/28 03:11:14 AM    
v3.11 has just been released and you can now add source when creating torrents.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server