Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

staying connected...

by Bugmagnet on 2014/05/11 01:45:28 PM    
Torrents are traffic intensive and lots of networking devices sold for home use can't handle it.

Years ago I was using a US Robotics wifi router/switch to connect my few devices. My uploading and downloading (with uTorrent usually) was very minimal at that time, but it still couldn't handle it. I'd have to reboot the router every 8-10 hours to keep it running.

I contacted USR support, only to be informed their 'super router' wasn't designed for torrent traffic. They had no fix. Just a suggestion to buy a cisco router. Sorry but spending several thousands of dollars for a cisco router and switch was not an option for me.

I got a 1 gb/s "gaming router" but it couldn't handle it either. I finally got a d-link "N" wifi router with 1 gb/s LAN switching and it worked pretty well for a while. In the mean time, I 'discovered' and migrated to tixati. With it, I started seeding hundreds of the files I have collected over the years. Life was good, but it wasn't to last. This wifi router started acting up and I got tired of resetting it several times a day to keep the BW up. The design seemed ok but I think something burned out in it after the warranty expired.

I had a used 'small business' linksys router on the shelf, rated at just 100 mb/s, not 1 gb/s, but that was more than enough for internet connections. I was using a 1 gb/s switch for several devices so LAN traffic was ok too...for a while. Then more connectivity problems. My tixati torrent seedbox was running fine, but other computers could not connect...I tracked it down to that 8-port 1 gb/s 3-com switch I was using. Connectivity was restored after I would reboot it, but several hours or a couple days later the problems were back.

I decided enough of that so pulled that switch out of my network and just work off the router/switch for now.  Works for me.

This particular non-wifi router/switch was from the linksys/cisco RV series which includes RV042 (4 port), RV082 (8-port) and RV016 (13? port). I had picked up a used RV082 off of ebay for under $50 because It had a dual WAN option. I don't have 2 ISPs but wanted to study that a little more. The RV016 has the capability of configuring up to 7 of its ports for WAN connections. Talk about redundancy! In basic form, it reserves 2 for dual WAN and 1 for DMZ, leaving 13 for LAN connections.

When cisco sold off the linksys division to belkin, it kept the RV series in house under its small business department. Belkin got the home use products.

Cisco now has similar 1 gb/s routers (RV320/325) but these older RV082/016 models are excellent for heavy torrent use. No more daily resets.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server