Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati Config File and XDG Basedir Specification

by Guest on 2021/11/26 02:51:20 PM    
Hi,

I've been using Tixati for a quite a while now and it's the best torrent client one can find. Although it does everything better but it would be really nice to have it follow the XDG Base Dir specification on Linux. That way, we can put our Tixati config file(s) in a directory and commit the changes to our config's Git repository.

Since the path is static ($HOME/.tixati), I've to do it manually every time I commit changes to my config repository. Not only that but the home directory will be clean since we only want to have personal files in the home directory. If the XDG Basedir Spec is implemented in Tixati, the .tixati folder will reside in the XDG_CONFIG_HOME/.config directory, where XDG_CONFIG_HOME is defined by our shell profile.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
by notaLamer on 2021/11/30 10:16:08 AM    
Tixati has multiple settings files, it would blow up your git repository if you did. Channels.dat can easily grow to 600MB. Give it a few iterations and your git repository ends up tracking gigabytes in history unless you clean it somehow. Proceed with caution
by KH on 2021/12/10 07:26:15 AM    
Version 2.87 was just released with changes to the Linux config location.  It is fully backward compatible to the older ~/.tixati config location, but now defaults to ~/.config/tixati on most systems.

We just updated the support page for this.  From https://support.tixati.com/config_path  :

On all Linux systems, the config directory is determined by following these steps in order:

If the command line flag --user-data-dir=/path/to/dir is present, then that path will be used.

If the environment variable TIXATI_USER_DATA_DIR is set, then that path will be used.

If the environment variable TIXATI_CONFIG_HOME is set, then that path appended with /tixati will be used.

If the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set, then that path appended with /tixati will be used if it exists.

If the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set, then ~/.config/tixati will be used if it exists.

If the path ~/.tixati exists, then it will be used.

If the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set, then that path appended with /tixati will be used.

And finally, the ultimate default path is ~/.config/tixati
by Mercury on 2021/12/10 05:24:01 PM    
I know this is nitpicking, but for this line:
"If the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set, then that path appended with /tixati will be used if it exists."

You should either emphasize "if it exists", or rephrase it as "If the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set, and /tixati/ exists at that location, then that entire path will be used."

I could not figure out the difference between this statement and the penultimate one in your list. What you wrote is technically correct (the best kind of correct) but easy to misread/misunderstand.
by Guest on 2021/12/20 05:55:56 PM    
@KH

Thanks for the detailed reply and for implementing my proposition. I'm going to check out the new version soon! (: <3

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server