Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati peer lists : how to show "software client" ?

by Guest on 2021/08/07 12:21:32 PM    
Hello,

Tixati peer lists : how to show "software client" ?  how to show "DNS name" selectable instead of the IP addresses ?

Or is planned ? Thank you
by Guest on 2021/08/08 10:53:34 PM    
1) how to show "software client" ?  

Layout -> Select Columns -> Peers View -> check the box that says "Client"
by Guest on 2021/08/09 04:57:55 AM    
What do you mean with software client?
I think the main reason to not lookup hostnames (via reverse DNs from IP addresses) is the privacy of users. These would leave much more of a log trail and aren't that useful after all? Just a guess.
by Guest on 2021/08/09 08:30:01 PM    
@Guest on 2021/08/08 10:53:34 PM

Thank it's perfect !

@Guest on 2021/08/09 04:57:55 AM  

What do you mean with software client?
I think the main reason to not lookup hostnames (via reverse DNs from IP addresses) is the privacy of users. These would leave much more of a log trail and aren't that useful after all? Just a guess.

Yes, it's about knowing the reverse dns of the IP addresses. This is useful to find a friend at first sight.

By definition, knowing the IP of a residential connection in absolute terms reduces privacy to nothing...
by notaLamer on 2021/08/12 03:06:19 AM    
By definition, knowing the IP of a residential connection in absolute terms reduces privacy to nothing...
What I had in mind is not exactly privacy. Recently a user asked (not here) how his ISP would know that he had been participating and causing peer-to-peer traffic (they wanted him to stop). Here're some possible scenarios:

1) They just bluffed and notified him due to simply high traffic
2) They have DPI (deep packet inspection) and analyzed traffic to find BitTorrent protocol signatures. However this equipment is expensive to route all traffic through it; alternatively it was done manually in his case after point 1.
3) They analyzed this user's DNS requests (default goes through your router straight to ISP and is logged)
4) Reverse DNS lookups similarly end up on ISP's DNS servers. If you combine this indicator with high traffic, this is pretty conclusive then.

Personally I'm on the fence about it.
by Guest on 2021/08/13 09:21:23 AM    
Personally I'm on the fence about it.

What more do you need to convince you ?

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server