Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

High DPI scaling has problems

by dustee071 on 2021/06/05 07:06:56 PM    
Hi, Im using a mismatched multi-monitor setup with windows10 and i have some issues with tixati. Primary monitor is 3840x2160 175%scaling, secondary monitor is 1680x1050 100%scaling. I would like to use tixati on my second monitor, maximized. I tried all the DPI scaling options in the properties of the executable and each has their own problems.

- Application scaling: makes the window and traymenu look normal for monitor1, but on monitor2 everything is massive, im guessing 1.75x bigger.
- System (enhanced): makes the tray right click menu tiny and makes it appear in the middle of monitor1 instead of next to the tray icon. Also breaks launching videos through the tixati tree view, makes potplayer not scale its skin correctly.
- System: also tiny tray menu centered in the middle of the screen. This mode starts lagging my potplayer and system every few minutes, caused me many hours of troubleshooting my system before i coincidentally discovered it was tixati that was causing it.
- No dpi override (default): tiny centered traymenu and makes tixati maximized state on monitor2 not really maximized - the absolute top of the window can be clicked through to the next application under it.

I choose system enhanced because it is the least infuriating to me, however i now have to open the folder in windows explorer before opening videos. Any improvements to DPI scaling would be very welcome. Thanks and keep up the good work i love tixati.
by Guest on 2021/09/21 05:18:59 PM    
Try this way:

- Application scaling: makes the window and traymenu look normal for monitor1, but on monitor2 everything is massive, im guessing 1.75x bigger.

With the app on monitor 2, and looking 1.75x bigger as you said, go to the system tray menu > Interface > Font Size > Decrease ... a few times.  Then re-start the app.

How does that look?
by Guest on 2021/10/29 10:45:44 PM    
This is really up to Tixati to fix. HiDPI is a massive PITA for everyone involved but Tixati has got to support different platforms, including Windows XP (well basically none of that) and Linux. For the developer and Linux users here's a good blog post to read: http://wok.oblomov.eu/tecnologia/mixed-dpi-x11/

PS: It is possible to set up virtual resolutions aka "custom resolutions" to display e.g. a 4K picture on a 1080p monitor for testing and other purposes. No need to actually buy a 4K monitor just to test for these issues.
Virtual resolution: commonly referred to a method where the GPU renders the full resolution but downscales it
Custom resolution: it is the ancient method where the GPU renders and sends the full resolution for the monitor to downscale it. This required tweaking resolution settings etc.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server