Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

How is torrent metadata propagated?

by Bugmagnet on 2014/05/05 03:58:03 AM    
As I understand it, DHT was created to eliminate the need for websites to host the .torrent metadata files and hence trackers were to be deprecated.

If I create a new torrent, and am well connected via DHT nodes (600+), once I am seeding the new torrent, will it be discoverable by others somehow over DHT?

I understand I can provide a magnet link, and can also upload my .torrent file to a tracker site, but if I don't do either, is there any mechanism for others to discover and download from me?
by Pete on 2014/05/05 03:24:11 PM    
DHT and magnet links are often used together but getting peers' addresses and getting torrent metadata is separate. DHT acts like a decentralized tracker - you can learn IP addresses of peers sharing a torrent, usually DHT is a backup for a tracker. Magnet links (Extension for Peers to Send Metadata Files) allow to "join a swarm and complete a download without the need of downloading a .torrent file first" by downloading metadata from connected peers directly. Usually magnet links contain a tracker URL, so it isn't necessary to have DHT enabled in order to start downloading from a magnet link - program will get peers from the tracker.

In order to download a torrent you have to know it's info hash value, that means you need a .torrent file or magnet link. Usually you get these from an indexing site, where someone uploaded the .torrent file earlier. There is a site that automatically indexes torrents found through DHT only, search for "BTDigg" or "DHT search engine".

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server