Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - Showing Honor

by Bugmagnet on 2014/05/04 04:53:04 AM    
In a healthy community, one shows recognition for the efforts and contributions of others, shows respect, shows honor.

I find Tixati very useful. Sure, I like many others can find fault and fantasize about future features, but I try not to let that overshadow just how good it is as is. I would hope one day it becomes a FLOSS application, freed and liberated open source software but I can't have everything I want. I accept that.

I don't know much about programming, but what little I do know is that the process is unrelenting and time consuming. And I think it follows the old 80-20 rule. It takes 20% of the time to write a functioning program, but then 80% to refine and debug it. Finding bugs and quirks might be the easy part. That's how I got my moniker over the years but in the process drove many a dev into heavy drinking.

Digging into the code to figure out what may be triggering the bug and then fixing it, without breaking something else in the process is the hard part. I appreciate it is a very time-intensive activity, therefore want to express some appreciation for all the efforts over the years, through the winMX years and now Tixati through version 1.96...It is really a monumental body of work that importantly has the potential to serve socially significant uses. As much as we may want some minor glitches fixed or some new functionality added, we must admit we have it pretty good as is. Yes, it could be better, but the fact that as is it is damn good. We've used it now nearly a year and for the most part it works very well. If there was never any update, I'd continue to use Tixati for years to come as is. Unless of course some new, unforeseen information protocol comes along...But i don't see that happening. Obviously, as it is unforeseen :)

We don't have the ability to shake Kevin's hand and thank him in person, so our means of expressions of gratitude are limited.

I have sent a pittance of monetary donation previously, but as I reflect on all this right now, with the anniversary of v1.96 (May 28) rapidly approaching, I think it is a good time to offer a token of appreciation in honor of all Kevin and his dev team have done.

Will you join me?  The links for their Bitcoin and Litecoin are listed above. Nice but I doubt most users dabble in those crypto-currencies. A wepay and/or paypal donation buttons would be far more useful I would think to make this option more accessible.

Until the webmaster adds such direct donation buttons, we can send an honorarium via the paypal.com web page to donate@tixati.com

Write that down. And repeat it often:

donate@tixati.com
by Nili on 2014/05/05 05:37:43 PM    
You're so right BM but is it enough? shall dev's reply? or just Janet?
by Bugmagnet on 2014/05/06 08:37:40 AM    
Nili, I am suggesting we appreciate what we have, and show some respect for that.. and NOT making that contingent on anything more, giving without expecting anything in return. Even a chat with the devs :) Simply giving credit where credit is due.

I would really like to have some running dialog or even simply some occasional acknowledgement that "we hear you" also. But I know from experience that this can be a time-consuming trap for programmers, trying to stay focused. On the other hand, I also know from experience that some great ideas come from user feedback. As a non-programming user, over the years many of my ideas have been adopted and incorporated into both proprietary and FLOSS projects. On one 'hobby' project, I worked with the sole dev as his chief beta tester and toy breaker for a couple years and together we made some amazing strides in improving his ap, but it was freeware not commercial, so at some point he had to pull back and focus on some income producing programming.

I recall back in the winMX days, there was some dialog and feedback possible with some from the team in their beta chatroom. Those were the good ol' days. And yes, more than one of my brainfarts back then were incorporated in what was to become the next great version of winMX...and perhaps just a few days before v3.54beta4 would reach 'stable' release status, the plug was pulled on winMX under threats and duress. In case you missed it, p2p filesharing is still under an oppressive cloud, so if the dev teams wishes to maintain a very low profile, I'll allow them that right.

Of course in the meantime, I'll keep doing what I do best, attracting bugs and tracking bugs. And documenting them as well as I can with my limited abilities. And I'll keep posting about them, not to be critical but hopefully as clues on what might be improved on. And who knows, maybe someday, I'll see the fruits of that incorporated in a future version of Tixati, the greatest, bestest torrent client in the history of the world.
by Guest on 2014/05/06 04:23:30 PM    
I'm sorry, BM, but I believe at least some of the developers should thank your efforts and attitude. It's a weird silence anyhow, hope I'm wrong.

Thanks,
ttt_t3
by janet on 2014/05/06 06:35:20 PM    
The Devs are very busy programming and haven't had the time to post like they used to, but they, and everyone else involved with Tixati thank all the users of the software and the posters to this forum.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server