Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati not opening magnets after instant.io hijacked my Chrome h

by Guest on 2021/05/04 02:16:10 PM    
So about a week ago I stumbled across a link on Twitter that brought me to this website called instant.io at the time I didn't thought anything was wrong so I just closed the page and went on with my day... The following days though I started noticing that whenever I tried to open a magnet it brought me back to that website, so I checked in the "Shell Integration" setting to see if for some reason Tixati got unassociated but it said that it still was the default magnet link manager... So following some old guide online I decided to check the Chrome handlers at chrome://settings/handlers and I found out that, even if the website didn't asked for anything somehow it had been selected as the magnet handler in Chrome so I removed it and just to be safe deleted all data Chrome had stored about it, unfortunately after doing so I tried once again to download from a magnet and it did nothing, no matter how many times I clicked on the link it just refused to open anything, not even that dastardly website... I thought maybe to use Edge to check if it would work from there but after asking me permission to open the default app it just opened an empty page on Chrome, after that I decided to check my setting in windows so I go to Settings>App>Default Apps>Choose Default Apps By Protocol, I scroll to MAGNET (URL:torrent magnet link) and see that Chrome is the selected handler, I try to change it but it's the only avaiable option (even after I tried to download another app directly from the Microsoft Store)... Checked the registry with REGedit at Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\magnet and all the subfolders do not seem to have anything mentioning instant.io OR Chrome, just Tixati, I didn't delete anything because I did not wanted to mess with things I do not understand... In my desperation I even tried to download another program ant set it when prompted as the default to see if that would fix it but to no avail.

If anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated, I'm not the only one having this issue as I've seen on the GitHub page of the website developer Other people complaining about the issue, even if they do not use Tixati... Here's the link of the discussion: https://github.com/webtorrent/instant.io/issues/244

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server