Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Refine stop seeding on upload ratio AND number of seeders availa

by txmx on 2021/03/12 05:09:29 PM    
As mentioned in another topic, I am seeding many rare torrents which occasionally have other seeders but often do not.

If there is nobody else seeding a torrent, I don't care what my upload ratio is, I still want to seed it. But if there are other seeders available and I have big ratio already, I do not. This increases the efficiency of automatically seeding rules and bandwidth usage.

Therefore it would be helpful to have a swarm check, perhaps every x minutes or hour (or custom) to see if a swarm has seeders. If it does have x amount of seeders, it checks my upload ratio limit to determine if I will seed or not. If it has no seeders, I don't want it to check my upload ratio limit because I want to ensure torrent remains available even if I have continued to upload it many times.

I believe this will help increase and prioritize torrent share efficiency for rare torrents.
by Bugmagnet on 2021/03/23 04:28:24 PM    
I really do not care about the ratios at all. Except to note which torrents are more popular. I had one documentary share over 1000 times over the years. With all that I can't fathom why I was getting so much demand? Were the 1000 I sent it to not resharing? If they were, that's one damn viral file!

On the other side, I find that I am the often the sole seeder for more than 1/2 of my torrents. I also note that a few of the torrents I collected took YEARS to complete. So I tend towards reserving my BW for the orphans.

It is easy to do that with the depth of control tixati provides.

First, I select torrents I want others to download. I will set them for Constant Seeding so that they do not go into standby rotation. And I might set a max remote seed count at say 4 for them. Or maybe 10. Depends.

Then for all other torrents, I might set a remote seed count of 1 or 2. Those actively seeded by others then get shut off. And later, perhaps once a week or once a month, I'll start them all again for an update on remote seed count.

As long as I am maxing out my ISP UL limit, I am happy. If I am not seeing a steady demand I will relax the remote seed count to say 3 or 4 to allow more torrents to be seeded to keep my UL BW fully utilized
by txmx on 2021/05/17 03:17:48 AM    
That's a good technique I did not realize was possible before. I only dislike that once the seed count is exceeded, torrents must be manually started again only to check. This can take really a long time re-setting limits etc.

With automatic check of trackers every x amount of time even when the seed count is exceeded, this becomes highly useful. Simply to continue checking swarm as if it were still active will make this very very good feature.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server