Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Potentially unwanted app

by Guest on 2021/03/03 04:28:27 PM    
Just a FYI: This morning I went to open the excellent software Tixati (for which I've been happily using for many years now) on my Windows 10 20H2 (19042.804) and Windows Security forced the exe to be quarantined as a potentially unwanted app (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?name=PUA%3aWin32%2fTixati&threatid=292810).   It took out the desktop shortcut, Program Files exe and the registry entries.  I've had to restore and allow the PUA to get it working again.  Not sure why Microsoft Defender AntiVirus as of 02-March-2021 marked Tixati as a PUA.
by Guest on 2021/03/09 12:06:49 AM    
I have noticed this too, that it has been blocked and unfortunately it was somehow deleted while in quarantine by my anti-virus so I was forced to re-install. I find it strange, and I'm not sure if it's blocking other torrent clients or just Tixati. I've been using her for years and have had no problems until now. Are they just doing this for points with copyright interests or something? There is no inherent illegality to torrenting, I'd hope windows would not block an app simply for association like that. makes me wish we weren't stuck with an OS with so much control.
by Guest on 2021/03/22 04:47:43 PM    
Me too, tried to reinstall Tixati but it came up with same error message

C:\users\me\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\user pinned\task...

Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file.  You may not have the appropiate permissions to access the item

OK
by Guest on 2021/03/22 08:26:09 PM    
same thing just happened to me
by Guest on 2021/03/23 03:53:39 AM    
I had this happen to me just now. Windows website has no information as to why this program is classed as PUP. Luckily windows defender only poped up with options to allow, delete or quarantine so I clicked allow and had no issues.
by Guest on 2021/03/23 06:24:32 AM    
Same. Fixed it by going to Windows Security>Virus & Threat Protection>Protection History>This app has been blocked (Low)>Actions>Allow. But this was after I tried uninstalling and reinstalling so I lost all of my settings and transfer history.
by Guest on 2021/03/23 10:51:24 AM    
Same here. Had to allow and reinstall it, there was no option to restore from Microsoft Defender.

Maybe it was just a definitions fluke, like they did to Chrome a long time ago? lol
by Guest on 2021/03/23 02:45:24 PM    
Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection Disabled
by Guest on 2021/03/23 05:01:51 PM    
makes me wish we weren't stuck with an OS with so much control.
you could always try linux. i hear they make versions that look a lot like windows.

is anyone getting this PUA problem with an older version of tixati (pre v281)?
by janet on 2021/03/23 05:33:41 PM    
Tixati has NO spyware or adware.

It has been flagged as PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) by Microsoft's Windows Defender only because Tixati is a torrent client. Other torrent clients have also been flagged as PUA by Microsoft's Windows Defender just for being torrent clients.

Here is more information:
https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-continues-to-be-flagged-as-severe-threat-and-its-not-alone-210318/
by Guest on 2021/04/09 04:00:20 AM    
you could always try linux. i hear they make versions that look a lot like windows.

I felt it was always inevitable that I switch to linux. I'm downloading Ubuntu with KDE right now lol.
by Guest on 2022/04/07 04:20:08 AM    
Hi everyone, you can get this to work by following these steps.

1. search windows security and click the app
2. click Virus & threat protection
3. you will see virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings
4. turn off Real-time protection.

Now if you have the program installed, uninstall it.
reinstall the application
run the application

Now please note, windows will scan again. this will allow you to run the program right now.
just follow the steps again after the scan. It's clear they are blocking this application and will not allow programs like "this" to run..

I hope this helps.

Thanks

IT/OT SME
by Mercury on 2022/04/09 09:17:01 PM    
Actually, the proper way to do this is:

1. Open Windows Security
2. Click Virus & threat protection
3. Click Manage Settings
4. Click Add or remove exclusions
5. Click Add an exclusion > Folder
6. Select the Tixati installation location (Typically C:/Program Files/Tixati/)

This allows you to keep real time protection against other threats.
by Guest on 2023/02/09 09:28:28 AM    
My sys admin does not allow me to add exceptions. Any other way to rund Tixati under Win 10 with Windows Defender?
by TX007 on 2023/02/09 11:08:29 PM    
by Guest on 2023/02/09 09:28:28 AM    
My sys admin does not allow me to add exceptions. Any other way to rund Tixati under Win 10 with Windows Defender?

Your best option is to convince the system admin, or you can install a lite Linux distribution (for example: Puppy Linux FossaPup64 9.5) on a USB flash disk, boot the computer from the USB key, then use a Linux version of Tixati.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server