Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Help with using Tixati and NORDVPN

by Guest on 2021/02/13 08:10:42 AM    
Hello,

I have noticed when using Tixati with NordVPN my speeds are often very slow. I understand that speeds will be slower with a VPN but it seems not normal in my case.

If I set the NORDVPN to connect to one of their TCP servers, I get ok speeds. But when I connect using their "Nordlynx" servers my download speeds are abysmal even though it's supposed to be their fastest servers.

I find in a browser connection test that the Nordlynx servers are indeed faster. So I am left to assume that a setting in Tixati is causing this behavior.

What can I possibly do to alleviate this issue?

Thank you.

Windows 10
Tixati 2.81
by Guest on 2021/02/22 03:58:28 AM    
When you say setting NORDVPN to connect to their TCP servers you mean you're using a 3rd party client like OPENVPN with the service?  I'm using NORDVPN on gigabit fiber and would like to test some theories with you.
by kh1234567890 on 2021/02/26 11:08:04 AM    
NordVPN has gradually become useless with Tixati, at least on my Win10 system.

Using their default NordLYNX protocol connections are slow and many torrent peers simply time out and disconnect.
Switching the NordVPN program to the OpenVPN (UDP) protocol helps somewhat but connecting to their servers using this seems very slow and unreliable. There does not appear to be any difference between their 'standard' and 'P2P' servers.

I have tried all the usuals - resetting the NordVPN program, reinstalling it and their drivers, setting up port forwarding on my router, tweaking their Win VPN drivers, etc. etc. to no avail. The only solution is to disable VPN for Tixati using their split tunneling option and take my chances ...

If any networking nerd could get to the bottom of this it would be appreciated.
by notaLamer on 2021/03/03 10:42:17 PM    
STOP USING NORDVPN
In short: This makes you an awful seeder, a poor downloader and negatively affects your transfer speeds.

NordVPN is deliberately NOT suited for Bittorrent usage. Bittorrent like almost any other p2p protocol requires YOUR COMPUTER to be readily available to new requests coming from the Internet.
With NordVPN THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE, bad! If you have a 100% download and you are the only seed online, another person with 0% download CANNOT connect to you, because NordVPN deliberately does NOT support port-forwarding. It's this port-forwarding that's crucial for Bittorrent and adequate transfers.

https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047408432/Do-you-offer-port-forwarding.htm  - here they openly admit they do not offer port-forwarding with a lame excuse.

Find a VPN provider that supports port-forwarding and setup the client to use that port assigned to you.
by Guest on 2021/03/11 05:29:26 AM    
Thxs notaLamer, I wish I'd realised that two years ago.

Like the OP in recent months Nord has been a pain with Tixati.
Their answer to my issues.... "We recommend qBittorrent".
Such arrogant CS means I'm now after a new VPN.
All hints & nudges welcomed :)
by notaLamer on 2021/03/11 10:01:57 PM    
You're welcome.
I hope the mods will not see it as ads, there're two choices I'm confident with: AirVPN and Mullvad. Both satisfy my 'they're very technical' requirements. Equally good choices if you ask me.
Mullvad's more on the edge with Wireguard technology and they have better marketing, more server locations.
AirVPN is less about marketing and more geeky I'd say. They point out their roots in activism and so on. They have a forum if you are into that.

For help or further discussion (opinion, recommendation), message me on Tixati (the Channels feature, I'm usually online at the big Tixati users channel)
by Guest on 2021/03/12 06:20:11 PM    
Thxs NL(?):) much appreciated.
by Guest on 2021/04/04 06:52:30 PM    
Mullvad ToS :

'Port-forwarding (2021-03-22)
Port-forwarding is not allowed on an account that has an active subscription.  It is therefore not possible to:

1. Adding forwarding ports to accounts that has a subscription
2. Add a subscription to an account that has forwarded ports'

???
by notaLamer on 2021/04/29 02:41:41 AM    
Interesting. They don't mention why in the ToS.
Reddit post wrote:
FYI The reason why port forwarding is disabled when purchasing mullvad with subscription

Automatic Payment (Subscription): Mullvad has to link your account number to your PayPal/Credit Card forever, so it can renew automatically.
One-Time Payments: You enter your account number when purchasing. Transaction id/stripe_charge_id/swish_request_id is deleted 40 days after payment.

So, despite no logs, it’s possible to find out who is behind the port forwarding if he/she is using Automatic Payment and if mullvad got hack or forced to provide financial information.
With one-time payments, after 40 days the financial breadcrumbs is deleted.
A somewhat empty announcement is on their blog under 'Update: A minor change in our Terms of service' posted 22 March 2021.

But you see now why it's one-time payment/gift codes/crypto that's the preferred way. Oh and while on topic: why NordVPN is not your friend.
by Guest on 2021/04/29 01:26:53 PM    
I've dumped NordVPN and gone with AirVPN. Works great with Tixati and port forwarding. No speed or any other problems whatever. They don't have many servers but have only 10k+ users so it is easy to find a lightly loaded server.
by SrOtter on 2021/05/03 06:13:57 PM    
@Guest on 2021/04/29 07:26:53 AM

I checked with Mullvad - didn't work. Cancelled my subscription.
I checked with AirVPN - worked from scratch. Keep my subscription.
:-)
by exchangemoral on 2022/05/19 10:53:17 PM    
@Guest I am also having the same issue.
by Guest on 2023/04/15 05:29:07 PM    
For the people who might stumble upon this thread, I have port-forwarding enabled with Mullvad and it works as expected without any speed problems. One can follow their help page to set it up:

https://mullvad.net/en/help/port-forwarding-and-mullvad

About "no port forwarding for accounts that can be linked back to the user (active subscription)", it only proves that they take the privacy of their users quiet seriously instead of just marketing about it. So it is a plus for me.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server