Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

UPNP mapping sent to wrong gateway

by JohnDoe1982 on 2020/05/21 04:33:21 AM    
Hello there!

I found another similar topic, but no answers there. So here we go:
I'm using Tixati on Win7 with built in VPN connection to a nice VPN provider. I use Win7 because Win10 disconnected the VPN on problems (like reconnecting of the physical internet connections once per day) while Win7 just waited 30 or 60 seconds and reconnected without any user intervention. My VPN provider supports UPNP and it is activated in the web interface of the provider. The problem is that Tixati shows it sends the UPNP mapping requests to the standard gateway of the physical ethernet connection, not the VPN's gateway. What can I do to change this?
by Guest on 2020/05/21 07:50:27 PM    
Here are a few options I can think of. Some of these may not apply to you but I'm saying it anyways for whoever reads this.

1) Disable UPnP (not recommended if you use it for port forwarding on your VPN. You can disable it if your VPN doesn't support UPnP port forwarding.)

2) The way your VPN provider sets up their VPN needs to be adjusted. The reason this is happening is because of how they add the routes. The default gateway is still set as your home router(check with "ipconfig" or "route -4 print") In this case, Tixati is using home router's IP for UPnP and not the VPN network's default gateway.

3) Find a program that let's you specify UPnP settings like the port to forward and the gateway IP. (I haven't tested it so I don't know if this one works:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/upnp-portmapper/  )

4) Run your own wireguard or openvpn VPN server. (Advanced and not recommended but you can setup port forwarding this way.) https://forum.tixati.com/offtopic/337
by Guest on 2020/05/21 08:09:48 PM    
more info: https://github.com/kaklakariada/portmapper   (requires Java 11. This is the only program I could find for doing this.) If you try using this, please let us know if it works.
by JohnDoe1982 on 2020/08/09 08:47:47 AM    
Well, no luck yet. 1. is not an option because the only way to forward a port with my VPN provider is using UPNP. 2. could be, but others report it working on the provider‘s forums. 3. didn‘t work. I tried the software in the second reply, but it says it can‘t set the ports.
And 4. won‘t help me at all ;)

I‘ll keep trying...
by Guest on 2020/08/13 09:14:25 AM    
Bind Tixsti to the VPN interface. Binding Tixati to the VPN interface ensures traffic is only sent out using the VPN. Settings > Connections > Local IPv4/IPv6 address or interface. I highly recommend interface name instead of the VPN interface's IP because it will likely change on a different server or when you reconnect.

If your VPN has a LAN access feature try disabiling it. It might be named something different but basically, it allows you to access other devices on your LAN while the VPN is on. If none of these suggestions have helpedz you should contact your VPN provider.
by Guest on 2020/08/13 09:37:11 AM    
Tixati picks the IP for UPnP based on the IP that handles the default route ("0.0.0.0/0" for IPv4).

You'll need to know your LAN network, the VPN's "LAN" network, and the VPN server's public IP.

Example: You use 192.168.2.0/24 for your LAN. Your home router is 192.168.2.1 on LAN. The VPN server's public IP is 1.1.1.1 and VPN uses 10.30.0.0/16 with 10.30.0.1 as gateway for people connected.

You'll have to edit your routes with the route command since you're on Windows.  If you're(anyone else) on linux you can use route or ip route.

I'll show an example with "ip route" command because I don't have Windows. Sorry. Maybe someone else can show a similar example.

$ sudo ip route add 192.168.2.0/24 dev interface-name (Probably already exists because of IP assigned to interface unless you purposely deleted all routes.)

$ sudo ip route add 1.1.1.1 via 192.168.2.1

$ sudo ip route add 10.30.0.0/16 dev VPNinterface-name (Probably already exists because of the IP assigned to VPN interface unless you purposely deleted all routes.)

$ sudo ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via 10.30.0.1 (Make sure you only have one default gateway route and it points to the gateway IP within VPN server.)

$ sudo ip route del 0.0.0.0/0 via 192.168.2.1

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server