Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

New 2.72 memory leak with Win10 1909?

by ArniVidar on 2020/04/30 11:52:06 PM    
Hey guys.

A few days ago I upgraded my Windows 10 to 1909, and since then I'm noticing a pretty drastic memory leak when downloading/uploading.
Basically, I'm leaving Tixati to run and the used memory just goes up and up constantly, while not actually showing any significant memory use in Task Manager. Leaving it over night, I may wake up to the computer being completely out of memory and either crashed or rebooted.
Exiting the program changes nothing, and basically the only way to reclaim my memory is to reboot.

The more torrents, the more memory is used, maybe 1-10GB per hour depending on how many torrents I'm running. The other night I tried running about 150-200 torrents (20 concurrent downloads and 60 uploads) and I managed to crash my computer in just over 90 minutes! :p

Anyone noticing the same? Just a coincidence that I'm seeing this at the same time I'm upgrading Windows?
by Guest on 2020/05/01 07:21:08 PM    
try getting the newer version, 2.73 and see if it still leaks.

look at the memory diagnostic graphs.

can you remove that update easily? if so, try it and run tixati and see if it leaks.

do you have antivirus and/or file logging going on?
by ArniVidar on 2020/05/02 12:15:09 AM    
Thanks for the response.
How funny, there was no 2.73 available when I wrote that post. :D I will definitely try to upgrade and see if that helps!

This has now become a real problem. I can't even download 10 things at once and leave Tixati running for a work-day. When I come back, Tixati has once again stolen away all the memory :)
Seeing as the entire point of torrents is to share what you download, it's sad that I have to stop/remove all torrents as soon as they finish downloading, lest my computer just die. Even then, I've now had to restart the computer 2-3 times a day for the better part of a week. The last time I intentionally rebooted before that was sometime in the 2010's :D

1909 was a major update release for Windows, and there's no way to undo that.

What do you mean by "memory diagnostic graphs" ?

I have antivirus now as I've always done, and that hasn't changed at all in the past couple of weeks.
I tried following some tricks from the few memory leak threads I could find, and disabled all logging. That made no difference.
by ArniVidar on 2020/05/03 11:34:12 AM    
Okay, just to give an update: The problem seems to be fixed now.

Seems that it wasn't actually Tixati that was causing this (directly). Looks like the Windows update messed up the LAN driver, so it was just network traffic in general that was causing the memory leak. Updated the driver, and Tixati now plays nicely again! :D
by janet on 2020/05/03 06:26:25 PM    
Okay, just to give an update: The problem seems to be fixed now. Seems that it wasn't actually Tixati that was causing this (directly). Looks like the Windows update messed up the LAN driver, so it was just network traffic in general that was causing the memory leak. Updated the driver, and Tixati now plays nicely again! :D  

Thanks for the update.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server