Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Why doesn't removing a torrent also remove its folder?

by Mugsy323 on 2020/04/04 01:30:31 PM    
SUGGESTION:

My "\Torrent Trash\" folder is a mess, filled with latent torrents LONG since removed, wasting nearly 10 GIGABYTES of precious drive space.

"Removing" a torrent should ALSO permanently delete the folder associated with it.

...Or is there a setting I've missed that does this already?
by Guest on 2020/04/05 02:24:04 AM    
There is separate command for removing files.
by Pete on 2020/04/05 10:49:10 AM    
I think those directories remain because they contain a file which wasn't downloaded with the torrent. On my computer this happens when I download a movie, add external subtitles and later delete the torrent. The directory with a subtitles file remains.

In other words Tixati tries to delete all downloaded files and then torrent directory but fails if it still contains something.
by Guest on 2020/04/16 10:02:14 AM    
I guess it should be considered a bug.

If using Remove on a file that is not completely downloaded, then Tixati should remove all associated (temporary) files. It does not, so I consider that a bug. Remove should NEVER delete a downloaded file as well as remove it from the queue.

I always use the 'Upon completion, move to this location' to separate completed torrents from incomplete. This makes it a lot easier to clean up after Tixati in the download and pieces folder - any files and folders that are not in the DL queue are left over junk.

It is necessary to clean up the temp folders once in a while; that is just a fact when using Tixati (for years) the I have gotten used to.
by Guest on 2020/04/16 04:48:38 PM    
REMOVE removes torrent and leaves files.

LOCAL FILES->DELETE removes torrent and deletes files.
by Guest on 2020/04/23 10:30:40 PM    
I support OP, this is a good suggestion, because having Remove in the right-click menu and Delete in a sub-menu under Local Files does not appear to be very well thought through.

If Remove was made so clever that it would work as now on a finished download, but would also remove the junk when used on an unfinished file, then OP, Guest and I would not get the impression that Tixati is a messy application that one has to clean up after.

It would be intuitive and make a lot of sense - to me at least - if using Remove on a finished file would remove the torrent without touching the downloaded file while using Remove on an unfinished file  would remove the torrent as well as deleting the junk. After all, there is no benefit to keeping file fragments of half-finished, unusable files where the torrent itself has been deleted (even if called removed).

I always configure completed files to be moved as the first thing after a clean install and, to be honest, I never understood why anybody would not want files and junk-files to be separated. Especially not since I have to manually clean out orphaned junk from both Default Download Location and Piece Storage from time to time.

Tixati does not need to be a file manager, so being able to delete a downloaded file is not strictly necessary, but as a torrent download manager it should be able to manage the junk-files and take out the trash.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server