Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Usefulness of the Auto-Limiter

by Guest on 2020/03/28 07:25:42 PM    
Hello,
Is there any benefit to using the bandwidth auto-limiter of Tixati? As I understand it, the purpose of the auto-limiter is to eliminate Bufferbloat by detecting network congestion and changing the bandwidth limit accordingly. The uTP protocol already specifies a congestion control algorithm in it, LEDBAT. (Let's assume for the matter that I've set Tixati in Settings => Network => Connections to UDP Only in both incoming and outgoing peer connection protocol.) Actually, TCP also uses congestion control, but it is implemented in the operating system and not in Tixati itself. Still, both protocols have congestion control in them. Maybe you would say that the congestion control algorithm that the OS uses for TCP is bad, but LEDBAT in uTP is supposed to make torrents use only the "excessive" bandwidth left to it without interferring with other applications.
Can someone explain the utility of the auto-limiter given all of this? Thank you.
by Guest on 2020/03/28 08:59:09 PM    
Tixati is the most advanced torrent client available, so I think Tixati devs understand a bit of bitorrent technology, so this setting can help surely. :)
by Pete on 2020/03/29 10:30:46 PM    
I used the Auto-Limiter for a few years. It was very useful for ADSL line. Back then Tixati quickly saturated upload bandwidth, Auto-Limiter helped a lot to keep regular Internet browsing possible. I don't know specifics of uTP, I guess in perfect world it should work OK. In reality though, different clients are implemented differently, so it may not work as good as it is advertised. Auto-Limiter on the other hand works entirely on your side. It is a workaround you can use if uTP and TCP built in bandwidth throttles don't suffice.
by Guest on 2020/04/04 06:41:02 PM    
Auto-limiter was very useful for me when working interactively in SSH or VNC remote desktop, while at the same time transferring torrents. I was able to configure it so interactive response times remained acceptable.
by Mixer on 2020/04/07 03:29:42 AM    
I have used Auto-Limiter successfully on one machine but on a newer one it is really janky, keeps cutting bandwidth way below the connection capability, seemingly with the same settings.
by Guest on 2020/04/07 01:47:01 PM    
Mixer, maybe you need some "calibration" for each machine

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server