Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Server version?

by MJasonCarswell on 2020/03/18 09:06:32 AM    
IMO, every home should have their own server, just like they have a fridge and other appliances - rather than lazily trusting in the corporatocracy cloud.  Freedom of communication and information is critical.

In my experience every torrent client has limitations on how many torrents it can handle.

I'm not tech savvy enough to know the ins and outs of setting up my own server, etc, but, I would bother to try to learn if there was something that could meet me half way.

Copyright issues, aside, in this age of censorship, I would love to have a vast collections of content perpetually online for those who seek it.

I keep all my torrent files along with their torrented content so I'm ready on that front.

In addition to sharing thousands or maybe even millions of files (ie. books and images are smaller) I would want my content safe from corruption on SnapGrid or FreeNAS or something.  Open source is most definitely preferred, like Linux Mint.

There are other systems like IPFS that I hear good things about and being flexible enough to embrace their solutions might be great too.
by Guest on 2020/03/18 06:24:54 PM    
On Linux you can use VNC and your preferred window manager or desktop environment to run Fopnu/Tixati from there.

I recommend the LXqt desktop environment and TigerVNC server. You'll need to get a VPS (virtual private server) or a dedicated server. Please do not pick OpenVZ VPSes. Search for KVM or Xen VPS. If you're really interested in setting this up, please let me know and I'll make an outline or tutorial.

Do you want to rent the server from somewhere else or setup a server at home?
by Guest on 2020/03/20 08:18:28 AM    
Thanks for your response.

To be honest I'd rather serve from home.  I already have the drives, etc.  I'll need to get a new box though.  Doing it remotely would then require bandwith uploading it all.  Here it would all be sort of a permanent thing to the side in the background.

Naturally having it here that makes it all more directly obvious and perilous, though all the authorities would have to do is find out who's renting on that server.

A tutorial would be wonderful.  It's all Greek to me.  Perhaps you can do a swift version for advanced folks and an ultra basic verbose version for newbies that explains all the pros and cons and why you choose one thing over others (also helps teach the concepts).

If it's okay, I'd like to share it on SaidIt.net where I hang out.

Also the quantity issue wasn't addressed.  I don't want to have to relink thousands of torrents to the content, etc.

Thanks again.
by Guest on 2020/03/20 08:03:51 PM    
Requirements:
1) a server (basically any spare computer can be made into a server if really you can't buy new hardware)
2) a spare USB drive (for installing Debian)
3) a computer (for making the installation USB)
4) an internet connection for your server. I highly recommend ethernet. I will assume you are using ethernet.

Making the installation USB & Installation
1) Download your preferred Linux distro ISO. (I will be using Debian as an example. The latest Debian netinstall ISO as of 20 March 2020 is here: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso  )

2) Download and run Rufus. ( https://rufus.ie/  ) Make the bootable USB using your ISO file. Make sure to choose the correct USB device. I think this part should be easy without explanation. Rufus allows you to make bootable USBs using an ISO file. An ISO file is basically a single file that has the contents of a DVD/CD.

3) Plug the USB into your server. Please have a monitor connected for this part. Boot the server and repeated press the UEFI/BIOS/boot menu key. (Possible examples include: Esc, F12, F1, F2, etc..) Refer to your motherboard manufacturer. (For example, I have an Asus motherboard and my key is F2. Yours will probably be different. Google it and try different keys.)

4) Look for boot menu and select your USB. If you see this screen ( https://i.postimg.cc/Dz1RtBLX/debian-install-boot-screen.png  ) you're ready to begin the installer. Choose the graphical installer. After answering the first few questions it will ask for a hostname and domain name. You can set the hostname to whatever you want. I set mine as "VM" because I'm running this in a virtual machine. You do not need a domain name and can leave it blank.

5) When you reach the "Partition disks" section of the installer you can choose "Guided - use entire disk" unless you have a reason to pick something else. Make sure you select the correct hard drive if you have multiple hard drives in your server. For the partition scheme pick all in one unless you need to use something else. Next, select "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk" and click on "Continue". Answer Yes for the next question.

6) When you reach the "Software selection" part of the installer. Please uncheck print server. You do not need that. Leave standard system utilities checked. Pick your desktop environment. I'm going to use LXQt. You are free to pick whichever one you want. If you don't know which one to pick, choose LXQt or search for each of them on YouTube.

I will add a post installation outline/tutorial later.
by Guest on 2020/03/20 08:32:00 PM    
I picked those options to keep things simple. It works fine. You can share this if you want. Do you plan to use your server like a desktop computer (directly and with a monitor connected) or remotely? To answer your question about loading all your torrents, you can make a category in Tixati and set a default location for that category. Transfer the data to that location and add all torrents to the category. When I get into setting up and installing Tixati / Fopnu (and other stuff), I'll provide examples to explain how to do things.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server