Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

VPN with Tixati

by NYDrumboy on 2019/08/19 06:17:30 PM    
New to this forum, though I've been using Tixati for years.

Is there a way to force Tixati to always open my VPN client, PrivateInternetAccess?

I saw instructions on this forum to add the interface to my connections, but I could use some more specific instructions, namely how do I know which connection is PIA?

thanks, everyone.
by Guest on 2019/09/09 04:16:13 PM    
Settings - Network - Connections

look lower in the screen and you'll see a "local ipv4 address or interface"

Many VPNs use their own TAP Adapter and you'll just place it in there.

click the "..." to the right of "local IPv4" and mine showed up in that section.  Mine is split in two one for the regular ip address and one for my VPN Client.

There is the VPN IP address, but right under that is my VPN Tap Adapter and I select that and everything works.

To test if everything works.  download ONLY a package that is free like another OS or something.  Start the download and then go turn off your VPN, at the bottom of your screen you should see everything drop to zero immediately.  IN/OUT Downloading all "0".

My ISP doesn't use Local IPv6 yet, so I can't tell you about that setting, nor does my VPN (to my knowledge), I could be totally wrong on that part...

I also do not use PIA, I use another.. so differences may vary.
by JWvL_software on 2019/10/27 09:16:14 AM    
I fixed this with my final choice, after numerous test, due to fastest speeds (only 50% of my bandwidth not 25% with all others for PtP; ExpressVPN.

I applied tunneling and use it to only apply to Tixati and set to disable when disconnected.

Settings - Network - Connections

look lower in the screen and you'll see a "local ipv4 address or interface"

Many VPNs use their own TAP Adapter and you'll just place it in there.

click the "..." to the right of "local IPv4" and mine showed up in that section.  Mine is split in two one for the regular ip address and one for my VPN Client.

There is the VPN IP address, but right under that is my VPN Tap Adapter and I select that and everything works.

To test if everything works.  download ONLY a package that is free like another OS or something.  Start the download and then go turn off your VPN, at the bottom of your screen you should see everything drop to zero immediately.  IN/OUT Downloading all "0".

My ISP doesn't use Local IPv6 yet, so I can't tell you about that setting, nor does my VPN (to my knowledge), I could be totally wrong on that part...

I also do not use PIA, I use another.. so differences may vary.

I changed my settings now and this works great because EpressVPN doesn't use IPv6 yet.

WOW! Check this out both IPv4 & IPv6 work now with ExpressVPN connected:
https://imageshack.com/i/plBSYMGMp

Jan-Willem vanLohuizen
by jprc on 2021/12/31 12:07:58 PM    
Reviving a thread from 2019, but it still appears in 3rd position when searching the key words Tixati/vpn and seems the only one with a clear solution...

I would like to confirm that the solution above still works perfectly today, and latest versions.
Tixati traffic goes to 0KB/s as soon as ExpressVPN is disconnected (manually, or loss of internet). And goes back to normal as soon as trackers re-announce after ExpressVPN is reconnected.

I use ExpressVPN (expensive but it works great, better that NordVPN I had before), and my ISP Is Starlink (Elon Musk's satellite system). Starlink is VERY unfriendly with torrent things, and does control your traffic for copyright issues. It is too expensive for playing with it...
The association Tixati + ExpressVPN is really interesting.
It works with the new protocol called "Lightway - UDP" (ExpressVPN's protocol)

Currently, the settings/options recommended are:
- ExpressVPN : «Launch ExpressVPN on Windows startup»  +  «Connect to the last used location when ExpressVPN is launched»  +  «Stop all internet traffic if the VPN disconnects unexpectedly»
- Tixati : still as explained in the posts above and «ExpressVPN TUN Driver» selected in the "Local IPv4 address or interface" box.

I would really recommend Tixati to be automatically linked to a (good and reliable) VPN, so then you won't forget it, especially if you are like me... :)

p.s. ; right now, while I was typing this, Starlink lost a connection with a satellite (it is still in Beta, and still very few satellites versus what is scheduled to be above our heads), ExpressVPN sent a "Internet blocked warning" as required in its options, and I saw immediately Tixati at 0 and the bandwith tab showing no activity. And 10s later both were back in order. It worked just great for behaving like a fuse, protecting you...
by jprc on 2022/01/09 11:06:03 AM    
Added information (ExpressVPN + Tixati):
When updating ExpressVPN client, it is possible that the driver's name changes. In this case, Tixati can't connect and you will have Trackers with a time out.

I just had this, and the data into the "Local IPv4 address or interface" box is now :«ExpressVPN TAP Adapter» (and not TUN as before).

Be sure that you update the info recorded by Tixati if you update also your VPN (any VPN) or Tixati seems disconnected: select what comes in the little pop-up when you click on the 3 points "...", and choose what is related to your VPN.
by ASmith on 2022/01/15 09:22:20 PM    
I used the PIA socks 5 proxy in testing Tixati, as PIA VPN users are also supplied that proxy to use also. It worked fine, good 10 MB/sec speeds on popular .torrent video files. I urge and suggest folks adding,changing a VPN or Socks 4-5 proxy on a bittorrent client to make 100% certain the external exposed Ipv4 is what you want prior to downloading dozens of popular .torrent video files. This is accomplished after adding a new VPN or instructing Tixati to use a Socks 5 or 4 proxy in its settings and then adding the IP checker .torrent or magnet uri file. Then in the Tixati trackers, look to see what Ipv4 that torrent/magnet uri is reporting as your external Ipv4 address.

(Links removed by Mod)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server