Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

How to reduce memory?

by Guest on 2019/03/21 03:30:31 PM    
Hi,

I have an old box dedicated to Torrenting.  On it I have an install of Lubuntu and other than my VPN (which I connect via CLI) the only other non-system applications running are Veracrypt and Tixati.  

The box has 2GB of RAM with an additional 2GB of disk space for virtual memory.  Without Tixati running my memory usage is sitting at 390MB and 150MB virtual memory.

Recently Tixati has been crashing.  When I open Tixati_log.txt I see the reported error "Out of memory!".  The cause is pretty obvious.  My question is, how I can I reduce the footprint of Tixati's memory usage.  I don't want to stop any of my seeds but I would reduce the number of active downloads if that would help.  Any ideas?

Thanks
by Guest on 2019/03/21 06:14:18 PM    
I found I had RSS and Channels enabled. Disabled both and am going to test what memory usage is like.
by Guest on 2019/03/22 05:01:22 PM    
Same problem, I can confirm that Tixati just does't scale very well.
The more downloads you have the more memory you need.

To me it is the worst thing about Tixati, I already cannot run it on a fan-less mini pc with 8GB of ram!
The only workaround is to delete old downloads, but the greater number of downloads you have the less likely you want to delete them.
by Bugmagnet on 2019/03/26 03:20:10 AM    
I have over 2000 torrents loaded on my system - win7 Pro with 8gb RAM
Tixati uses less than 3 GB
I also run fopnu and it uses about 3 GB too
very stable 24/7 and typically have to reboot only after windows updates.

That said, plans are being made for future tixati updates to move some data out of RAM to the HD. This will slow some things down, but also require much less RAM. Not sure if this will be a settable option or a forced change. Will wait to see how it is actually implemented.
by Guest on 2019/03/27 02:19:12 AM    
Thanks for the reply.

Some extra information that may help you.

I currently have ~1200 Torrents most of which are actively seeding or set to download but I consider dead.  Looking at System Monitor my total memory usage (including OS) is 1GB and 200MB of swap.  

I did notice that if I enabled too many simultaneous downloads Tixati will crash due to lack of memory.  I think the issue may be that it is using an external HDD over USB2.0 to read and write data from.  I am guessing when I say that I think if my combined downloads exceed the bandwidth available on the USB link that Tixati stores the excess data in RAM which eventually leads to a crash.

The only other time I have noticed it crash (which is not logged for memory reasons) is when I have a large Torrent with many disabled files and I go through the process of enabling them.  Enabling too many files at a time can lead to Tixati to be non responsive then crash.
by Bugmagnet on 2019/03/27 04:52:52 PM    
Do you use the "Auto-Manage Slots" feature for queuing ULs and/or DLs?
by Guest on 2019/03/27 06:12:25 PM    
I use it on and off.  I can't say for certain if the memory issue only occurs when it is on.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server