Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

3 Feature Requests: Dual Pane + Mass Archive Management + Themes

by JasonCarswell on 2018/08/09 07:06:20 PM    
I love Tixati.  I also love qBittorrent.  I use both on my machines.

I have 2 requests for features I haven't seen anywhere but would love.

1) Dual Pane, aka split view.  I'd like to see a) all the torrents or a single torrent WHILE ALSO b) featuring a global traffic pane/panel/tab/window/view/etc.  As it it is, I can switch between all of these, but I would like to always see global traffic, even if I'm looking at a single torrent with its singlular traffic.  Perhaps the "split view" may have more then just 2 (dual) views if people prefer.

Adjustable windows would be ideal, I don't need the global traffic window to be large - just easy to see.  Sitting at my computer it could be a strip across the bottom, but from across the room I might make it half the window, or if there's a spike that shrinks the entire graph.  The idea is to know at a glance my modem is active.

2) Mass Archive Management.  qBittorrent has "Categories" and "Tags" which is wonderful.  I'd also like is a way to manage large numbers of torrents, the torrent files and the content, and be able to move/change drives, paths, etc with more ease.  Admittedly I have yet to use Tixati for any mass management, but I certainly would if it were clearly superior.

I have several major issues with qBittorrent (to be determined with Tixati) regarding mass archive management.  Dealing with thousands of files is an entire topic unto itself, so for now I will simply address the issue of maintaining connections between the app and the files.  For whatever reason (power outage, machine crash, app crash, memory issue, etc) sometimes links to completed torrents are broken/corrupt/missing, or the content is intentionally relocated (moved to another path or harddrive).  Ideally I would like Tixati to search for BOTH complete and incomplete files in BOTH the incomplete and destination folders = FOUR searches and/or checks (perhaps alerting me to duplicate issues, etc).

Here's an example of my current problems with qBittorrent:  If I have a "broken link" for a completed download, I must make the torrent "complete" to be able to share it again - meaning I have to copy the completed file(s) back to the "Incomplete qBittorent" folder and rename adding a ".!qB" to the all of the files (same as "incomplete." before all Tixati files) - and then once it recheck-confirms completion, it moves and checks again (so much network traffic and unnecessary drive abuse!) to finally be "re-linked" and sharing.  This inconvenience is extremely discouraging if you must do this to dozens, hundreds, or thousands of torrents one might like to share - especially the rare ones.

3) I love the dark theme but I think I can improve upon it and would like to be able to modify and share colour themes, maybe customize icons too.  Perhaps this function already exists.

I hope these ideas are clearly understood.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/08/10 04:54:04 PM    
I'll take the easy one first.

See Settings/User Interface/ then Color Scheme and Custom Colors

Load your base preference, light or dark, then change any colors you want.

After you have created your first masterpiece, go to Color Scheme and save it under Custom .colors File.

Then create another and save it etc.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/08/10 06:25:25 PM    
As to "Mass Archive Management", I am not familiar with qTorrent and how it operates. I just scanned their changelog and noted that the new features they just added in the current version have been supported in Tixati for some time now.

Tixati also has categories which allow for moving finished torrents into an organized file folder system. It also allows for merging common content and seeding multiple torrents from one folder which help avoid duplicating files common to more than 1 torrent.

If you go to Transfers and select a torrent, click properties then options and scan the 5 tabs for the controllable factors available.

Over the years I have used tixati almost exclusively as overall it does what I want...to organize my files for my own use and reference and also aggressively share/seed. Even with moderate UL BW, trying to keep it running 24/7/365, I have shared ~80TB of torrents.

Bottom line is tixati does very well for Mass Archive Management in my opinion and experience.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/08/10 06:43:13 PM    
As to a pane to monitor global BW, what OS are you using?

If windows, I would highly recommend you checkout a couple utilities created long ago by Igor Iarsn. See iarsn.com

Taskinfo and abpmon.

Taskinfo is the full feature system monitor, which can graph 1-16 different things, TCP/IP bw being one.

abpmon is a dockable ap that shows just the graphs. I run both, with different update intervals. abpmon for very fast results and taskinfo for long interval updates and resulting graph timelines.

These utilities have helped me identify lots of problems over the years, by indicating CPUsage for each executable running, memory each is using, growing swap file and yes, BW issues. I haven't seen anything like it for linux, though there may be. I just don't know of anything that provides the level of detail anf flexibility of these.

If all you want to see is global BW (In and Out), you can enable only that single item to monitor, then dock the abpmon graph on any of the 4 sides of your monitor, left/right, top or bottom. And it provides feedback with any app you may be running. It has helped me identify and reports bugs in several programs, including firefox, thunderbird and many, many more. Yes, occasionally even tixati :)

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server