Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Settings Dialog is not sufficiently documented in Help & Support

by Guest on 2018/07/12 09:12:58 PM    
Each and every setting option available to users within the Tixati Settings Dialog Box must be accurately illustrated as well as specifically discussed in your help documentation.  This way users are informed about the purpose and the effect of their choices.  To understand product features and specifications that are defined by your control of the settings, as you define.  Thorough elaboration is required for each and every individual option available to the user in order to correctly control features that you offer. Specifications and specificity is the most helpful way to address the problems and confusion that you diligently address in this forum.  Ultimately, most concerns reflect a lapse in documenting each and every option available in the entirety of the Tixati Settings dialog.  Accomplishing this one complete documentation would eliminate the need to explain them later in the forums.  For example, elaboration on the "always auto-select" feature and the correlated file size % setting would have saved me and many others a significant headache and confusion as to why most of my multifile torrents are missing files.  It may also be a process which may help you to clarify why the ability to simply download the torrent in its entirety should necessarily force the user to select all the files, or else be spared this nagging dialog by arbitrarily sacrificing content of certain small files.  It's frustrating there is no mention of these very consequential options in your help or within the interface dialog whatsoever.  Any settings option that is not defined in the HELP section should be removed from the Tixati settings dialog.  If the feature is worth having then it must be specified to the user.  Features without specification might as well be bugs, in terms of the user experience.  If the dialog box can't be self-explanatory or by pressing f1 for help, then its not fair to offer the unclarified options.
by shag00 on 2018/07/16 03:27:24 AM    
Ah, the bane of all modern software. Thoroughly agree except I would stop short of removing undocumented features.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/07/16 05:30:50 AM    
Tixati is quite well documented, especially considering it is free and has no income stream from imbedded ads.

If users paid their respects, perhaps more people could be hired to enhance the existing documentation.
by Guest on 2018/07/16 10:15:18 AM    
There is certainly no lack of commitment from you.  I guess my thought was that you'd spend far less time than you currently devote to this forum, and which I spent time looking to appear in the new release documentation.  A brief explanation of a misunderstood feature somewhere other than a dense forum would solve what that 99% of users will not pursue otherwise.  They will simply never get it to work as well as it should, and never know it.  I never in years of trying to troubleshoot my difficulties would have considered the corrective measure necessary.  The language utilized in the settings dialog in no way seemed to correlate to my a "bug".  It never occurred that my "bug" was your "feature". The function the setting was not apparent nor intrinsic to the terse setting language.  Even just one sentence of elaboration in a tooltip or the help would have done the trick.

Nevertheless, I understand that this is a largely unfunded demand on your excellent work and I'm sorry to complain about a minor issue in what is a spectacular accomplishment and a great deal of generosity.  The important stuff works great, I was nitpicking on the shit that any good developer won't waste his time doing, and I believe you when you say you'd gladly pay someone to do it if the deserved revenue stream was available.  At the very least you're entitled to ignore that task as long as you want or as long as it takes for it to be your own priority.  You certainly did document a solution in this forum and I do appreciate the effort.  Thank you, very much.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/07/17 06:27:30 AM    
please do not attribute my opinions as those of the DEVteam.
I am merely the beneficiary of their dedication and hard work.

I know well that documentation is lacking in some areas. But I also know that the DEVteam is very occupied in refinement and enhancement and documentation never keeps up. As a work in aggressive progress that is to be expected.

However, your mastery of the language might be very useful. If you wish to contribute and help, you can login to the support pages and edit them, improve them. You don't have to know it all. In the edits you can make reference to what confuses you and the moderator can take it from there, as their time allows.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server