Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Transfer speeds feature request

by Guest on 2018/07/10 12:06:52 PM    
Over the last 10 years fibre technology has been introduced into a number of markets to the home user and at the same time there has been a huge increase in file sizes available to torrent users. Torrent clients appear to have, to a large extent, ignored this trend. While it true that (I estimate) 95% of torrent users continue on with near dialup upload speeds there is an increasing number of users that use high speed internet connections.

My request is that the client be far more aggressive in disconnecting slow connections and that as well as disconnecting they be ignored as well. A user interface much like the one available for customising outgoing and incoming transfer speeds is suggested. As a starting point in would be good if, for example, after 90 seconds from connection the peer is not delivering greater than 5kbps they be ignored (5 kbps is user definable).

Another issue, some peers, predominately from the USA have high speed connections and will upload from you at a very fast rate (in some cases over 1000 kbps) while delivering only 10-15 kbps in return. Can we have the client highlight these peers and take some user defined action.

I cannot believe that in today's world the vast majority of peers can only upload at a speed of less than 5kbps to it's connected-to peers. I know there can be a host of reasons for this but I suspect that the raw connection speed between the peer and it's ISP is not the main culprit for this phenomenon.
by Guest on 2018/07/12 09:14:56 AM    
Many people have connections that are 24 Mbps download and only 1 Mbps upload. So it's not a surprise that many users cannot upload to you at high speeds. ISPs are to blame for this phenomenon.
by JWvL_software on 2018/07/19 04:31:48 PM    
I have Spectrum and they are upgrading to 200Mbps down and 12 Mbps up as I have now.

I was just checking today and saw a peer with 450MBps download and only 10KBps upload that kept dropping my input from 4-7KBps to 0. Their upload slowly increased to 37KBps over time but my download never got to 8MBps.

If I didn't manually reconnect after 10 seconds the auto reconnect would take a minute or two. It took over an hour and a half to manually finish the last 7M of the download.

I saw a number of similar peers but no others dropped my rate.

I am beginning to think this is a bug in the latest version as I haven't experienced these crawling download rates for very long.

JW
by shag00 on 2018/07/24 12:02:06 PM    
Regards, the 24 down/1 up issue this actually a technical constraint of ADSL (old technology) which essentially gave one quarter of your DL speed as your UL speed. For fibre connections this is not a constraint but I do note that many network providers still maintain a lower UL speed than DL speed. Notwithstanding this reality and the poor business decisions that does not really explain the UL speed of most people as there is still 1024 1kbs in 1 mb and even discounted by 50% for poor network that is still 512. Split, say between 20 peers that's 20kbs each, no the less than 5 that is so common. I also have experienced this issue from people who take hundreds of kb from you and give less than 10 back.

Regarding the Spectrum case I think the numbers may be a little off but the general gist of it I think is the case in point.

I think that the reasons don't matter so much but rather a solution. If people are happy with slow UL speeds that's fine, there should just be a way for people to connect to peers who have good internet. If that eventually forces people to higher plans or internet providers to provide decent internet then that's a good thing.
by Guest on 2018/08/02 08:12:06 PM    
1 mbit/sec upload speed is the usual max given for ADSL connections.

That's not 1000 KiloBYTES/second -- it's closer to 100 KiloBYTES/second usable.
Split that between 20 peers and it is indeed 5 KiloBYTES/second at best.
Contention and extra overheads eats a little bit extra as more peers are added, so it's even worse than it seems.

Uploading to 20 peers could happen on 1 torrent or spread between 10+ torrents running at once.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server