Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Please test to confirm "memory leak"

by Bugmagnet on 2018/06/26 05:08:09 AM    
For some time now I have been experiencing intermittent excessive RAM usage which has often forced the use of swap files on hard drive.

I *think* I have detected one possible cause of this...logging.

First, I share over 1000 torrents. That amount may aggravate the "memory leak" issue. If you upload lots of torrents, you might experience the same behavior I have noted.

First thing to test is turn off all logging under Settings -> Event Logging.  Set Main Log Scrollback Size to minimum (100). Then set Transfers, Peers, RSS Feeds and Scheduler Events to Level 0, No Logging. Restart Tixati and note and record the amount of RAM/Memory it is using after 1/2 hour or so. (On windows, I use TaskInfo utility for this as it gives more details than M$ Task Manager at Processes. TaskInfo has columns for InMem KB, Private KB and Total KB each process uses.) See iarsn.com for TaskInfo, free for personal use. You might take a screenshot of the taskinfo window showing those 3 RAM related columns, both at startup and after 3 days or so. Compare the memory footprint...especially "Total KB".

After 3 days running without any logging, enable logging on everything to the max 50,000 lines and highest levels of detail. IF you can keep that running for 3 days, note the amount of memory it is using at that time.

How does it compare to running without any logging?
by Bugmagnet on 2018/07/09 04:36:23 PM    
the memory usage changes done in v2.58 did not address this problem.

I ran v2.58 from a fresh reboot. It loaded at about 2.5GB. I enabled logging to max size and detail. Within a day the memory footprint was over 6GB, into swap mode and Tixati was largely unresponsive.

I force killed the process and restarted it. With all optional logging turned off and the main log set to minimum, after 9 hours uptime it was using under 2.7GB.
by Guest on 2018/07/10 02:36:22 AM    
how many total transfers?
how many downloading transfers?

i would suspect that if the logs are constantly increasing in size, the memory it takes to hold all that should increase.

on the transfers tab, press the help button, go to diagnostics, go to memory state, and select "all". that will tell you what area of the program is using memory.

then you can open one of the specific detail memory graphs(DHT, RSS, Channels, Root, Ports..etc) to see what in that area is using all the memory.

post the pics so the devs can see.
by Bugmagnet on 2018/07/11 05:51:37 PM    
have over 2000 torrents loaded, 1500+ shared (with rotating queue) - I have about 200 torrents loaded for download, but NONE are active - no seeds or active peers - all orphaned. Hope springs eternal.

And for the record, you don't have to go to the transfers tab to get to the diagnostics. The Help menu is available on any tab.

I am testing and sending screenshots to the devteam but my tests only relate to win7 pro. Testing on other platforms may help the devteam isolate the problems.

I don't have a deep understanding on the internal functions, but near as I can tell there are 5 logs that can be set to a max of 50,000 lines each. That's 250,000 lines total. If each line logged is limited to 256 characters, that can account for only 64 mB.

Yet my memory usage can increase 5 gB when I enable logging for a week.

I don't need to log. I can disable it all and not have to reboot each couple days. But finding the flaws might have other benefits.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server