Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Default settings changes

by maxmuldjord on 2014/03/06 01:16:33 PM    
Is it possible to make your own default settings so new files start up in PEERS, Force-choke, Bandwidth priority-group ultra-high, allowance x10, and in FILES Priority Ultra-high, front and back first aggressive, sequential aggressive ?
by Pete on 2014/03/06 06:06:46 PM    
It's not possible. Why would you like to start every torrent with such settings? I can guarantee that you won't download faster than using defaults, most likely slower instead.
by Guest on 2014/03/08 12:27:33 AM    
I am curious why you would want those settings?
by maxmuldjord on 2014/03/10 03:25:56 PM    
I have had the experience lots and lots of time that thees settings is 2 times faster than default.
by Guest on 2014/03/15 04:50:42 PM    
I might suggest if those settings work for faster downloads you have other configuration problems. After all the priority settings are only affecting your computer. Just because you have it set to ultra high does not mean the seeder knows that and sends you more. If you are choking your bandwidth with too many downloads/uploads and configure one to ultra high then all the bandwidth goes to it. The same would happen if you left it on normal and set the others to low.

The other setting you mentioned is the one that concerns me. Force choke; first that is not how this works. If you choke you are not sending out data which has a huge negative effect on the torrent. Not to mention the whole point about torrents is to share. You might then seed back what you took and think this is OK but it is not. You can't repair the damage you have done.

What happens when you choose choke is likely leeches stop sharing with you and stop sending data. They then cycle off as slowest connections and you end up with a page of seeds only. Fast for you, but what about everyone else? If a seed is connected to 3 peers he sends a different packet to each of you so that hopefully you will send that unique packet to the other guy and so on and so on. Now he has to resend the packet because you didn't send it out, that slows the torrent. Further more you have it set to sequential and are demanding a specific packet that may have already been sent and is not the "rarest packet", then you slow the torrent even more.

I could go on about this forever, but I am going to stop here because I think that you are not trying to deliberately hurt the community as a whole. I have an experiment for you and it will truly help you understand how a torrent works.

 Find a slow torrent with few seeds and more leeches, one that is crawling along at a snails pace. Watch it for an hour and observe your speed and progress. Now turn off all your other files or stop other uploads and change your bandwidth setting for trading to 90% and maximize your upload speed. That does not mean clog it, if you have nothing else going out 80% of your upload speed but auto limit helps here. You will have to change that later at 50% complete or once you see your download speed increasing.

Over the next hour or two you will not notice a speed improvement, and you will see you are putting out way more than you are getting in. Your ratio may even become 3:1. At this point remember how long it was going to take to download this torrent likely a day or more. My bet is once you get to 50% complete with these settings it will only take one hour to complete the rest of the download assuming others have also got to 50% or more with you. You will also notice that your ratio has gone back to something normal. If you watch Rem B/s for your other leechs this tells the story thru the download. Everyone will pick up speed and it will only be because of one person, you. Which also goes to show that one person doing something negative can have a huge effect also.

Bottom line if you want to maximize your downloads you must first maximize your uploads. This only works on sharing data and since most can only upload a 1/10th of what they can download that becomes the biggest limitation.

The only time I use choke is when I find someone that is not sending out data. If I see someone that has sent me no file bytes and I have sent them Ms then they get choked. With your settings that might be you.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server