Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Incoming Bytes for Complete Download?

by Guest on 2014/02/23 03:49:42 PM    
Why does the transfers screen show that bytes are incoming for completed downloads?
Some files I'm seeding display hundreds of bytes incoming!
Thanks in advance.
by Pete on 2014/02/24 07:10:34 PM    
Check bandwidth tab of that torrent. Most likely it's protocol traffic, for example other peer's requests and acknowledgments. You can set "Transfer B/s Display" to "File Only" in Settings > Output Formatting, if you don't like to see protocol traffic in this column.
by Guest on 2014/02/24 08:37:08 PM    
I'm not sure I follow, what do you mean by 'protocol traffic' ?

And protocol traffic as opposed to what?
by Guest on 2014/02/26 07:27:10 PM    
Protocol traffic is a service traffic. Opposed to it is a file traffic, a traffic of data.
by Pete on 2014/02/26 08:04:56 PM    
In order to exchange data, bittorrent clients need to establish a connection between them. Clients use different messages to communicate with each other and keep connection alive. For example they use messages to: show which pieces of data are available, request block of data, inform that a piece is finished, pass IP addresses of peers, and so on. Even transferred data are also part of a message, which consists of a header, that identifies a block, and actual file data. Additionally a client needs to communicate with trackers or DHT to obtain IP addresses of peers.

This is why you see incoming bytes at transfers view, even for 100% complete, seeding torrents. Tixati has separate counters for protocol and file data, see Details tab of a torrent. Tixati shows protocol and file data in different colors, on the Bandwidth tab of each torrent. You can omit protocol counters in a few places by setting Output Formatting options to show File Only.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server