Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Torrent file causes a "Install Software" instance.

by Guest on 2017/08/09 09:28:38 PM    
Depending where I download torrents from, I sometimes get the pop up box from Tixati, asking to install the Tixati Software again.

I use Tixati 2.53 (downloaded from this site) and my system is a Linux OS, which is frequently scanned for any dubious files.

I have used Tixati almost exclusively, for many years now, but this problem has surfaced over the last two releases and is becoming very frequent.

Anyway..........

My Firefox and Chrome browser's are set to recognise both torrent and magnet files and, to open and save as such. However this reinstall business will appear on about 5/10% of the occasions, when I right click a downloaded metadata file to "Open with Tixati".

This is when the programme appears as a fresh install, with the default black background and asks for me to agree to terms and conditions. Obviously, the Tixati software is already installed and configured to the way I wish, so re-installing it is rather fishy and a totally pointless exercise.

So, either Tixati on this system Cinnamon, also XFCE and Ubuntu 16.04 is buggy, or, there is something wrong with the way the torrent/magnet files are behaving.

I hasten to add that these apparently dubious looking files can be opened via the hash # and are 99.999% clean upon download.

I tend to stick to familiar torrent sites and trusted up loaders to avoid fakes, being the conscientious user that I am.

I am wondering whether you can shed any light on this minor/irritating issue please?

(Linux user, but no geek).
by Guest on 2017/08/10 03:15:46 AM    
im no linux geek either but...

tixati is running when these torrents are asking to 'install software' right?

how are you starting tixati? through the 'application menu'? from the terminal?

does it repeatedly happen for any specific magnet link? or more often on a specific site?

have you ever clicked yes to see what happens? what happens? does it try to reinstall tixati? where does it try to get it from?

maybe those torrents are looking for tixati in an unexpected location, not finding it and then asking you to install tixati.
-for example: it is looking for it in /sbin but it is in /bin. something like that.

i would lean toward these magnet-links being the problem.
by Guest on 2017/08/10 07:10:04 PM    
Thanks for your reply, it got me thinking and I think I have the answer myself now.

I downloaded a couple of files to see what happened when I opened them from my linked 'download' folder on the desktop.
by Guest on 2017/08/10 07:45:33 PM    
I eventually sorted this problem out.

I had to take a look at how my sandbox was handling the files (Firejail).

Torrents are OK, Magnets are a pain in the a--.

Opening files in the sandboxed folder causes the "initial configuration" sequence.

Thanks for your reply.......it got my thinking head on.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server