Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Tixati Suggestions

by Guest on 2014/02/12 10:54:27 PM    
I don't have any expectations on any of their implementations, but these are things that I think most people would agree adds to the program. I'll try to be available for anyone who has questions about what I have in mind because that seems to happen.

* Ability for multiple torrents to share the same directory.

The most rational way for somebody to regularly add torrents to a collection is by having all share the same directory. Tixati is the only torrent program I know of that cannot handle this correctly.

* Ability to remember window details (size and position, main and sub panel)

Every time I restart the program (Win 7 x64) I seem to recall having to resize the transfer names and file names to fill the width of the window. I also believe I might have to resize and reposition the window. These aren't questions the program needs to ask because the user has already answered.

* Smarter defaults for sorting Created.

I keep my torrents sorted by most recently created which means that if I want to just look at another order then I have to first by least recently created and then again by most recently created. For a long list of torrents, this defaults to the portion of the list least likely to be of interest so either you scroll through to the end or have to sort again.

* Category implications

I had the idea that Categories should have implications with regard to settings. I have a SEED Category that I always manually set Seeding to Constant Seed. Maybe, I would also like to automatically have this Category set (Bandwidth) Priority Group to Below Normal. These would ideally be available to set once and would make using the program much simpler.

* Add inactivity metric to transfers.

I think it would be a wonderful thing to know how many days or weeks it has been since the last (non-tracker) activity. It would help people who are seeding things for years to know how long ago a particular seed actually helped someone. If they could sort their transfers using this metric then it would also help people find transfers that nobody seems to want and clean them up. I would also think it might help to be able to choose a particular amount of inactivity that would terminate a transfer.
by Pete on 2014/02/13 09:11:32 PM    
Ability for multiple torrents to share the same directory.
Ability to remember window details (size and position, main and sub panel)
Both work for me already.

Category implications
Categories are powerful but complicated in Tixati, I tested them some time ago. For example the Priority column always displays only the individual torrent setting, but the category setting works too and it doesn't just take precedence over individual setting. For example there are three torrents:
a) normal priority, normal category priority => Normal displayed in priority column, behaves like Normal
b) normal priority, above normal category priority => Normal displayed in priority column, behaves like Above Normal
c) above normal priority, above normal category priority => Above Normal displayed in priority column, behaves like High
Both individual and category priority are active, you can have torrents with different priority in the same category, nice :)

Add inactivity metric to transfers.
Great idea!
by gso on 2014/02/14 04:56:11 AM    
I've upgraded to 1.96 and I can confirm that the entire second issuse is solved!

My problem with Tixati and file names is that the transfer name is part of the path. For example if a family is using Tixati to share pictures then monthly updates would look like the following:

user/My Pictures/SharedFamilyPhotos/2014/New Years/(pictures)
user/My Pictures/SharedFamilyPhotos/2014/Valentines Day/(pictures)
user/My Pictures/SharedFamilyPhotos/2014/Easter/(pictures)

I would want to have meaningful names for these three transfers as

SharedFamilyPhotos - 2014 - New Years
SharedFamilyPhotos - 2014 - Valentines Day
SharedFamilyPhotos - 2014 - Easter

But the only way you can get Tixati to replicate the inteded path is to remove the descriptive transfer name and just name all your transfers:

SharedFamilyPhotos
SharedFamilyPhotos
SharedFamilyPhotos

I'm pretty sure the first remains an open issue.

Its late so I'll have look forward to thinkinging about Pete's comments regarding category implications tommorow.
by Guest on 2014/02/14 09:59:31 AM    
Can't speak to other suggestions, but tixati *always* loads all torrents from same directory for me (tixati v 1.96 on linux).  Please re-check your settings/preferences.  OBTW:  wouldn't it be simpler (and provide more local control) if the server admin which hosting a torrent provide the metric which would notify them of when any file was last accessed?  Don't know about win-blowze ($MSoft), but in linux the operating system (i.e., the kernel) and a few other utilities provide this info by default.  It is up to the admin/user to decide which is appropriate for their setup, and what format to display it in, and when or how often.  Check the logging utilities for your operating system.  Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!!
---rob
by gso on 2014/02/14 09:57:18 PM    
I'm going to point the helpful Guest poster to the post I made right before them which further elaborates on what I don't think Tixati does well regarding file paths.

Windows provides file times for created, modified and accessed. In theory, the accessed metric would probably only tell you when you last loaded Tixati because it verifies all files in every active transfer every time the Tixati process is created.

I checked that theory and discovered that Windows must be really lax about keeping the accessed metric updated because created and accessed always seem to be the same time but the modified is slightly later. I'm having Tixati pre-allocate file space which means the modified will probably tell you when it was finished downloading.
by gso on 2014/03/05 04:49:11 PM    
I have one more suggestion I'd to add

* Bandwidth tab should label time axis.

I only check this tab to confirm my internet connection has gone down. I am unable to tell how long ago it went down, or came back up, because the time axis is unlabeled.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server