Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

No tray Icon ... what can I do?

by Guest on 2017/07/01 04:10:48 AM    
by Radish on 2017/07/02 05:18:15 PM    
Try the following:

Following is how to deal with issue if find a program's tray icon has suddenly missing.

If a notification area icon has suddenly disappeared, or if no icon is shown in the notification area after you started your program, you may just need to reset the Windows icon cache.

Windows has a useful ability to automatically hide notification area icons that are not in use, to prevent cluttering the area. Windows Explorer adds every icon that has ever been in the notification area to the list, and, over time, this cache list may become very long.

To see this list, right-click on the Taskbar, choose Properties, then go to the Notification Area tab and click the Customize button.

To reset the list (please note, this will remove all settings you set for the icons):

   Open regedit.exe through the start menu and find this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
   There you will see two entries: IconStreams and PastIconsStream. Delete both of them. If you wish to be on the safe side, use the export function to make a backup before deleting anything.
   Reboot the computer.
   Now the list in the Customize Notification Icons window should be new and clean, with all settings reset to default.

Alternatively, you can simply use the batch file below. It will delete the registry entries mentioned above and restart the shell for you. Once that is done then reboot and you should find all your icons back.

ResetIconCache.bat
@echo off

rem Reset Notification Area
rem This utility restarts the shell (explorer.exe) and resets your notification area icon cache

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v IconStreams /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v PastIconsStream /f
start "Shell Restarter" /d "%systemroot%" /i /normal explorer.exe

by Guest on 2017/07/10 04:51:05 AM    
I thought the screenshot would give it away,
I'm using Tixati on ubuntu  (17.04) ...

There was no tray icon from day one ...
by Radish on 2017/07/10 03:33:45 PM    
Ah, the missing information - always state it clearly when posting into forums. Okay, I really don't know then. However, I Googled and got the following which might or might not help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/68119/how-to-bring-app-icons-back-into-unitys-system-tray/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/675809/tixati-tray-icon-is-not-displaying

They are old articles but the solution might be there. Google also offered a few other hits so might be worth Googling. If you find the solution in those articles it would help others if you post back here with what you found worked.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server