Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

DHT is causing that Handles Leak
Page 2 of 2     <<<12   >   >>  
by Guest on 2017/06/13 03:48:43 PM    
Hi BugMagnet, here I am again. I used Process Explorer from SysInternals Suite. Remember that on Windows 10 there are many running 'svchost.exe' executable files. Some svchost combine processes, but the most important thing about the difference between Windows 10 and Windows 7 is that Windows 10 seperates and gives a 'svchost.exe' for every process/service needing it. So I have very many svchosts.exe running.

I have to identify the svchost.exe which is offering Tixati to run in its own svchost.exe address memory space.

Now this: On Windows 10, I cannot find a svchost.exe running Tixati like in its memory address space. However, svchosts.exe on Windows 7 and Windows 10 does run critical Network infrastructure processes. Since svchost is just a host.

I suggest you download VirtualBox and create a virtual machine with Windows 10 (very demanding I know) and then running a test torrent a few days.

Since I have a VirtualBox Windows 7 to test seeding and it runs fine since it has no Antivirus except Windows Defender.

Questions checklists:
Ask me what software I should run to detect, remember I have around 20 svchost.exe running with inside it the code of the guest. I personally thing I can never detect this on Windows 10, I simply could not find a svchost.exe running tixati in it on Windows 10.

I believe something is causing troubles, since nowadays developers target Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and they sure do behave differently. I will start Tixati in a Virtual Machine for you on a Windows 7 machine as guest. If this Windows 7 guest fails by excessive handles we know it is Tixati, however when no excessive handles appear in Process Explorer, I again point to your Network Centre then Network Adapter Properties, and look for a Firewall or Antivirus Protocol which is actually called a Network Device Driver Filter.

Questions: You have a protocol for antivirus in your Network Adapter?
Questions: You have a firewall protocol in your Network Adapter?
Questions: The most important thing do you use a Virtual Network Adapter like OpenVPN or VirtualBox or VMWare?

In best case you only have to reinstall your antivirus without Webshield. In worst case you will end up with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
by Guest on 2017/06/20 08:15:48 AM    
I run Tixati v2.53x64 on a Win7x64 Pro virtual machine continuously, so far no sign of this handles leak on this end.
by Bugmagnet on 2017/06/20 02:36:34 PM    
Here we go again....
Today when I checked Tixati, there were virtually no uploads...
I decided to turn DHT back on and in a short time, my upload BW maxed out to the limit i had set to 8 mb/s

Then I noticed the handles were not increasing. At the moment, I am not seeing the handles leak.

and re post by by Guest on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:48:43 GMT...

I am on win 7 pro x64
there are at least 12 instances of svchost.exe running
the handles leak occurs in  only 1 of these, which I identified in the images I posted.

I am more familiar with TaskInfo (iarsn dot com) than sys internals. It graphing function for internal processes help a lot detecting bugs.

As stated, due to other pressing commitments, I do not have the time to dig much deeper to the actual root cause of the interaction between Tixati's DHT and svchost.exe, especially since I am not a talented programmer.
by NebularNerd on 2017/06/22 09:30:53 PM    
Testing with Tixati added to the Avast exclusions list seems to have mixed results, performance as a whole seems up but the whole DHT/Web death problems seems to be rather dependant on the torrent I am downloading at the time, the large one I was testing with previously was fine yet another two smaller sized (still multi GB) cause it to fall over. However a few seconds after quitting Tixati it all came back online.

Most odd...
by Bugmagnet on 2017/06/23 07:59:00 AM    
and the leak is back.
With 3 days 11 hours uptime on tixati, not noticing any leak, I left DHT on. When I checked today, taskinfo was in alert status for excessive handles... 359K handles left open.
by Guest on 2017/07/01 05:15:43 PM    
If I may suggest a quick workaround. How about adding a function that allows the scheduling of DHT in intervals?
Instead of the long process it will take to create custom entries in the Tixati Scheduler. This could make it easier to turn DHT ON/OFF for fixed durations, like say, turn it ON for {insert duration in minutes here} then turn it OFF for {insert duration in minutes here}, and start over.
by Bugmagnet on 2017/07/02 05:49:30 PM    
still stumped...

I rebooted my Win7 64 pro system 2 days ago. Forgot I didn't have tixati on autostart. After 2 days system uptime I started tixati and went AFK. When I checked 12 hours later, I saw that I wasn't connected to any of the channels... DHT was off by default. So I started DHT. and there is no indicatiob of the handles leak!

Mind twisting over this.. What could be making the DHT-related handles leak come and go intermittently??????????????????????

2 days system uptime
12 hours tixati uptime
turned on DHT
no handles leak...
by Bugmagnet on 2017/07/03 06:07:33 AM    
the saga continues...

With tixati uptime now over 25 hours, the current handles count related to DHT is slightly less than when I enabled it a day ago.
Needless to say, I will not be rebooting for a while....and remain clueless why handles leak sometimes and not others. I am still preoccupied with a priority project and can't dig into this deeply for now. And the intricacies of DHT are well above my meager pay scale :p
by Guest on 2017/08/01 09:43:33 AM    
if you leave the DHT on with the high handles, how does tixati run? what exactly is the trouble running tixati?

what do the node tables look like?
by Bugmagnet on 2017/08/16 05:00:33 PM    
v2.55 seems to have fixed this DHT related handles leak.
I have rebooted 2 times since updating to v2.55 and can now leave DHT on without handles spiraling out of sight.
Page 2 of 2     <<<12   >   >>  
<<  Back To Forum

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server