Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

File Too Large Error When scanning during a file check

by Guest on 2017/02/26 09:36:30 AM    
I've searched the forum and seen that this has come up a couple of time before, and has NOT been resolved, The latest one was blamed on "user error".
I would really like to see this fixed, as this is my only serious problem with Tixati, and I love every thing else about it.

I can reproduce the issue, and  it's seems to just be a programming bug in the way Tixati does file checks on existing files for a 'new' torrent.

Let's say you have a torrent with multiple files within, we will call this version 1, and the block size of the torrent is 5K:
file 1 is 10K
file 2 is 20K
file 3 is 30K

Now lets say next month version 2 comes out and contains the same three files by name, but they've been updated, perhaps some information added, some information removed, and perhaps compressed again. The block size is still 5K and the files now are:

file 1 15K
file 2 20K
file 3 25K

Normally the torrent program should see that the hash of file 1 is wrong and download the missing block, see file 2 is the same and not do anything, and see file 3 is wrong, realize it has too much information, delete file 3 and download the 5 blocks of file 3; this is where Tixati is going wrong, it just stops dead during the file scan and puts up a "file too Large" error on the torrent, and ceases to do anything else.

You can find the file it marks as too large, delete it yourself, force the recheck, and it will start downloading, which works for a small torrent of 3 files; but take the same scenario as above and make it 28,000 files over 60 Gb, and it's not manageable to do by hand. Every other torrent client I've used (and I've tried most all of them, looking for my favorite), handles the oversized files correctly (by deleting the blocks that don't match the block checksums), but Tixati seems to get stuck.

Can we get a dev to look into this? I have a saved file operation log, a saved event log of the new torrent, a saved copy of the original "Version 182" and "Version 183" of the torrent file, and files from that torrent that cause the 'File Too Large' error. This is easily reproducible, and since the error already has a definition in Tixati (it tells me the file is too big, and I agree, it's right), it should be easy to have it just delete the problem files and move on; Instead of never allowing the check to be completed or torrent to be downloaded.
by tmm on 2017/03/01 06:44:54 AM    
This is NOT from the same poster as the same other topic, and this is NOT user error.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server