Help and Support
Ask a question, report a problem, request a feature...
<<  Back To Forum

Feature request : check for duplicate trackers

by loninappleton on 2013/11/02 06:54:13 PM    
New tracker lists are posted from time to time and they contain working trackers from previous lists plus new ones and those that have failed.

This is a programming task:  compare old list with new list and ask:

  Delete duplicate items Y or N?

Related,  does Tixati have access to a good working tracker's list?  I am using one to update archive.org from one of the big index sites.
by Pete on 2013/11/03 11:19:36 AM    
Tixati removes duplicate trackers from list. It is not necessary to announce multiple trackers, one working tracker is enough. Running DHT is more important than additional trackers. Tixati has an option to announce first working tracker group only, I think it's very good solution.
by Guest on 2013/11/04 08:31:26 AM    
Ok Pete-- erm, what you said.  ;-)  I use Tixati plain vanilla and do not know much of the lingo.  My only point was looking at long tracker lists and trying to know which need to come out.

Are you saying that if I add a text file of the new tracker list that the duplicates would be found?  Or that only one tracker per transfer is needed?  This sounds like a shot in the dark and would cut down on seeding the item.  I  know many of them have .announce.  From your reply is it that sometracker.announce should be retained by my list?
by Pete on 2013/11/05 06:16:31 PM    
Sorry for my "English", I should have learn it better :)

I meant: When you add trackers list and hit OK, Tixati will remove duplicate lines. But they have to be exactly the same to be recognized as duplicates. For example this list contains only one tracker but with different address each time so it won't be removed:
udp://sometracker.com:80/announce
udp://sometracker.com/announce
udp://sometracker.com:80
udp://sometracker.com

by Guest on 2013/11/06 10:05:45 AM    
Ok, I get that.
In the above you say only one tracker is enough.

How is that one chosen, or does this mean (using the previous example of three) the .announce only for that tracker identity?

This time I'm afraid that my English may not be very good.
by Pete on 2013/11/09 12:09:24 PM    
Use a reliable tracker, maybe add another one as a backup, in case the first stops working. Using multiple trackers is not helping, because each of them will have the same set of peers. It is harmful for trackers, it generates many unnecessary connections and work for them.
by Bugmagnet on 2014/05/06 08:01:55 AM    
This ancient post came up in a search for something else, and I thought I'd add my 2 cents, which often ain't worth a plugged nickle!

Tixati is very versatile in handling trackers. Aside from removing exact duplicates, you can 1 combine them into groups (or one huge group) then set the option "Multi-tracker announce mode" to First working group.

The group function by itself provides for stopping at the first working connection in a group. The latter option to stop at the first group that makes a connection addds to this, perhaps an over kill if just 2 or 3 groups are created.

With these option, you can have 100 trackers in a list and still only connect to 1 or 2, keeping the rest in standby for if and when needed. Not that you'd ever find 100 working trakers!

Very often, you'll get a torrent with 10-20 trackers all enabled, not combined in groups and Tixati will merrily hammer them all. Sever might show as "Host Not Found", which usually means that domain has been abandoned and will likely never come back on line. Here again, Tixati rises to the occasion. Just copy the domain name into Settings/Transfers/Trackers Box 1 and thereafter Tixati will automatically delete matching trackers from your torrents active tracker list.  For those "refusing connection" or "timing out" or requiring a password login, Box 3 is a good solution to skip announcing to them, without removing them.

And one last thing. Not all trackers are the same. When I was examining this today, I saw several trackers reporting 15-20 seeds for a torrent, while 2 others on the list reported only 2 or 3. One is not as good as another, so in some cases it might be recommended not to rely on a single working connection.  It is certainly not needed to have 10 or 20 active trackers, but 2 wouldn't hurt that much.  And as Pete says, DHT and PEX, when allowed, do wonders making up for poor tracking results.

This web site is powered by Super Simple Server